Brazilian Rain Tree

Jwalsh

Seed
Reaction score
I have this BRT that I trimmed maybe a few months ago. I am new to this so I don’t know if I did it right. The top of the tree has stopped sprouting, and seems kind of dead. The bottom of it is flourishing which is exciting.
I think I cut it back wrong.
Any advice or information?

Attachments

• CDA90F34-B047-48A1-9249-4FB6B0864B81.jpeg
    CDA90F34-B047-48A1-9249-4FB6B0864B81.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 84

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
BRT can be finickly when it comes to pruning. You always have to leve a stub above the live section or it will die back. In this case you might have cut back too far and the wole top died back. Never cut back past the last live bud or leaf node on a branch unless you want to kill it. I always leave a stub about 1/2-1” long above a leaf node.

Jwalsh

Seed
Reaction score
BRT can be finickly when it comes to pruning. You always have to leve a stub above the live section or it will die back. In this case you might have cut back too far and the wole top died back. Never cut back past the last live bud or leaf node on a branch unless you want to kill it. I always leave a stub about 1/2-1” long above a leaf node.
Ok thank you. Do you have any suggestions on how to move forward?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Because the upper part of the trunk has died, you will need to develop a new trunk line and apex. Trim away most of the dead upper trunk, leaving a stub for now (you will eventually remove it all in a year or so once the tree is stronger). Take your uppermost branch and wire it upwards - giving it some gradual bends along the way so that it doesn't look chopstick straight. Let it grow strong, and when you prune, prune to develop ramification versus letting the branches shoot straight out.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THe whole setion with brown bark can be assumed as dead. So that can be removed. The top living branch can be guided upward to replace that.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Cut the thorns off cause they won't grow back . Try a Tamarind tree ( very similar ) but nicer looking in my opinion .

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It has been discuss in a previous BRT topic apparently if you cut the thorns they won't grow back ,not sure if it causes more flowers ( something I didn't know either )

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has been discuss in a previous BRT topic apparently if you cut the thorns they won't grow back ,not sure if it causes more flowers ( something I didn't know either )
So.. Still wondering why cut them off? What does it do that you would?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thorn Up!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The thorns are part of its charm. Cutting them off is like declawing a cat 😞.
Some people like declawed cats. Less damage to furniture I am told.
PS: My cat was trained to not claw furniture. Everything looked good or so it seemed. Then we had a hurricane and had to throw out some furniture. That was when I discovered that the back of my leather couches away from view was clawed to shreds. Cats are going to claw. BRT thorns are going to puncture. If you are OK with that then keep them.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cut the thorns off cause they won't grow back . Try a Tamarind tree ( very similar ) but nicer looking in my opinion .
I agree. I am growing two right now. You can get seeds for them at the vegetable section of most larges supermarkets.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
OK, so no bonsai development benefits then?
I don't believe there is any benefit other than a physical/safety one. I have never felt the need, but I have only a small tree. I have heard that some are thornier than others, and there may even be a cultivar without thorns(?) though I can't recall where I read that.

FWIW I have a honey locust tree in my yard that I think is pretty and reminds me of BRT... but the thorns are not to be messed with. As a small tree the thorns are mostly annoying, but as a large tree thorns project from adult bark, and if you cut them off, they will regrow. I know this is a complete derail of the thread - to talk about a different species entirely :) Maybe we should start a thorny bonsai thread :)

locust-tree-thornes.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don't believe there is any benefit other than a physical/safety one. I have never felt the need, but I have only a small tree. I have heard that some are thornier than others, and there may even be a cultivar without thorns(?) though I can't recall where I read that.

FWIW I have a honey locust tree in my yard that I think is pretty and reminds me of BRT... but the thorns are not to be messed with. As a small tree the thorns are mostly annoying, but as a large tree thorns project from adult bark, and if you cut them off, they will regrow. I know this is a complete derail of the thread - to talk about a different species entirely :) Maybe we should start a thorny bonsai thread :)

View attachment 401325
Aye aye sir.

Top Bottom