Brazilian RainTree Cuts Die Back

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My BRT had gotten too wild so I did a hard cut back last year. It came back with some nice growth. It turned brown everywhere I cut the limbs, and now (over time) it seems that the brown is going back down the limbs. The tree seems to be in good health.
If I cut the brown/dead wood off, leaving some dead, will it stat the die back over again?
Is there something to treat it with when I do make the cuts? These are small limbs.

Thanks,
Michael

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Hi Michael,
I have a BRT that I have been working on for the past 5 years. Went it comes to pruning I allow for 1/2 to 1 inch dieback. If your dieback is more than 1 inch, I don't know what might be the cause. Perhaps someelse here in bonsainut might know the answer.

Art

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Art, that sounds like mine so it is the norm. Do you leave the entire dead wood or have you tried cutting off some after it has died? Guess I can test on mine and see.

Raining here today, locked inside...Cabin Fever
Michael

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree I too have a Brazilian rain tree. They are prone to die back when pruned, therefore when doing so it is necessary to cut generously leaving a nub. Then when it has died back in a few months or a year later it can be pruned off.

When discussing how much is affected by die-back I notice that more under developed branches/twigs have a greater die back than thicker ones.

"If I cut the brown/dead wood off, leaving some dead, will it stat the die back over again?"
I would not cut any of the dead/dying wood off until some time has passed and you know it will not continue. Otherwise yes it may promote more die back.

"Is there something to treat it with when I do make the cuts? These are small limbs."
If they are small limbs then no, short from leaving some length prior to the previous node, etc.. that you wish to be the final length you should be fine. If you are cutting back a large limb close to the trunk I would recommend using cut paste as it sometimes cuts back or prevents most die back. I do not recommend doing this though as it is not safe and you will risk losing a major limb!

Maybe Arty will add something, he more extensive experience with Brazilian Rain tree's.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Mike423.
Bonhe

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
In working with BRT die back is normal but can be prevented.
Any and all cut made have to be sealed right then and there! You cannot wait till you are finished cutting all the branches.
Larger branches need to be misted before cutting, misting the cut spot and then sealing.

Top Bottom