Brazilian raintree flat top

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's great. I think they are really cool trees. I like a tree that "does things" grows fast, folds up when needs to, flowers. I've never seen mine flower. May be giving it to much nitrogen or something. Haven't really looked into it. I just want it to grow. Maybe my smaller one will flower?
The one lanceMac10 and choppy posted are incredible.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Big storm blew through last night and knocked my raintree and one other to the ground and tipped over 2 more onto the stands. I slept right threw it. Raintree is completely un damaged but broke the pot. It has so many roots it held the broken parts of the pot to it. Was sitting on its side on the ground with only a fine layer of top soil off. I have it strapped in place for now. New pot will be here Monday. MUST always wire trees into pots.
Odd thing was I have a small red cup with a wisteria cutting in it sitting on the arm rest of a chair and it stayed in place ??? Small cup on the right of the 2nd picture.
20160910_104613.jpg
20160909_162533.jpg

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have several BRT, love them. One tree flowers all the time, has yours flowered?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Top-heavy and taller trees are always knocked or tipped over by the winds first. You did the right thing tying it, safety first.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Multi staged flat top may be perfect for the little one. I don't really have a plan for it yet.
I've never seen mine flower. Just grows....
They do ramify easy. Just have to plan for die back.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful flat top there mate. Do they ramify easy to?
What's the plan for the smaller one on the right? Maybe a multi staged flat top?
View attachment 116837

Going to try and do a multi flat top with the little tree. Great idea. Doesn't look like much now but trimmed it with flat top in mind. Will let it grow a little more then wire it. The little bit of wire on there now was just to spread the branches out a little. It was all clumped up when I got it. Should look pretty cool in about three years. Should have 6 pads on it. Will keep moving each pad outward as much as I can. Will also keep putting it in bigger pots to keep it growing. Did not do that with the other tree.
20160912_091913.jpg

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
It looks great. Your pads are much thicker than mine. I've got quite a bit of work to do with this one.

IMG_3433.JPG

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going to try and do a multi flat top with the little tree.
Great. Haven't yet seen a real multi top anywhere. Its difficult enough to get a single top well spread, tapered and ramified. Much more so a multi top I imagine. Good on you for taking on the challenge. I think its one of the most difficult styles to get right... and certainly the most rewarding if it comes together ;)
Please keep it updated. I'm just as excited as you...maybe more :p

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since the storm broke the trees pot I re potted it today. I think its only been a year since the last re pot but maybe more.Roots looked great and the pot was full. It drank water fast. It will only be in this pot for about a year then to a bigger one. Looks much better than the original pot it was in.
20160912_163907.jpg
20160912_164619.jpg
20160912_171007 (1).jpg
20160912_170647.jpg

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Yeah, I love the thickness of the pads he's got there. Really need to wire, guy wire and work on ramification.

Last edited:

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks fredman. Looking forward to wire up the small one now. I cut the thorns off the small one but the big one still has all its thorns. Pain to wire. Bleed every time. Winter is a good time for me to do a full wire. It looses about 70% of its leaves when inside. This year I will have a greenhouse to put it in. Maybe get more growth.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not on mine. Thorns are pretty big and don't grow back after cutting them off but will grow more on new growth.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every year when we first get some cooler weather my raintree changes color a little and sheds some leaves. Looks pretty cool at first then ends up really thinned out. Good time to wire at that point.
20161012_150027.jpg

Top Bottom