Brazilian raintree flat top

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you pinch new growth to keep the internodes shorter on yours? They can get pretty damn long if you let them

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The branches that come off the tree with longer internodes I cut off but sometimes leave them on for a while to help thicken another branch. The ones with short internodes I let grow and cut the staight up and straight down stems.
Here is a picture that shows the longer internodes that I just trimmed off the multi level flattop I have.
20161012_160258_resized.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just took the trees out of the greenhouse for a break for the next 2 days. The raintree shed a lot of the leaves and is now growing like crazy. I decided to not wire it and going to repot in a grow box or big pot and let it grow this year with some clip and grow to keep it looking ok. Thicken it up a bit. Also plan to center it in the pot to get some roots on the shallow side. 20170227_122824.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes they are starting to bounce back now. This was the first year with a small greenhouse and it worked great. This picture was just a couple of weeks ago. Thinned out foliage and buds all over the tree.
20170209_175301 (1).jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A beautiful tree heading to be better and better!
Very nice photo, absolutely eloquent :)

What species is this tree at the back? Absolutely fantastic bark!
I'm not sure what species it is but I do like the bark too and it's a great shade tree when it gets real hot in the summer.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Lobaeux. Getting anxious to put it in a bigger pot.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Me too. I'm doing every thing I can to not dig up the BRT I have in the front yard and need to figure out what I'm going to do with my potted BRT. New pots!

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Debating on whether to repot my flat top or just let it continue. If I repot, I'm wondering how bad it would be to bury the trunk a little more than it already is.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I've been wanting to find seeds or cuttings....nothing out there really.:oops:
Maybe i'll try Texas Ebony.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
TE are fantastic as well. I have some that are coming on nicely.
I love the BRT bark though...TE's bark looks OK but I like the smooth bark look.
I'm sure I have too many tropical trees indoors as it is. :p

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
What is this madness called too many trees? Never heard if it...
I dunno, when the snow clears and the ground thaws I need to rescue some 3"+ stumps. I need a big Birch and HopHornbeam me thinks!:cool:
County mowed a bunch of American Elms down also. They are kinda rare around here due to DED, but they don't seem to care.:oops:
If I have one of everything isn't 2 better?

Top Bottom