Brazilian raintree flat top

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking really great!

I just picked up an Acacia... will be striving for the flat top Serengeti-look as it progresses (and assuming it survives another Iowa winter).

Was kept in a local dealers greenhouse each winter, and now likely will come into the house when it gets way too cold in the unheated garage this winter.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking really great!

I just picked up an Acacia... will be striving for the flat top Serengeti-look as it progresses (and assuming it survives another Iowa winter).

Was kept in a local dealers greenhouse each winter, and now likely will come into the house when it gets way too cold in the unheated garage this winter.

Just looked up Acacia. They look great in a flat top.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Acacia are the prototypic flat top! At least from my perspective. The rain tree is a close, but I'm partial to Acacia (only because I don't have a rain tree).

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like that airy feeling you've created. It has a good attraction to explore and examine details. It's good to see lots of branch development. You're doing it right...keep up the excellent work.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't think I've posted a side shot of this tree.Hard to see all the different cures from a picture of the front. Lowerd the canopy more today and did a bunch more wiring. For the past year I've been trimming to raise the canopy and on the last trim I decided I liked it lower and flatter.
Side picture.
20170806_140138 (Small).jpg

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That trunk is really great and the refinement of the canopy is only serving to make this tree more appealing. Keep the progression photos coming.

Not to hijack, but I put some wire on my 'flat top' Acacia double planting this morning before work. Didn't break any branches and they're still looking good 10 hrs later!

Some work to go before it actually becomes a true flat top, though!

IMG_1115.JPG

OK, apologies for the aside, now back to the BRT updates!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a little iffy with the style myself but understand the attraction. Really an exotic look and sometimes I question myself why I don't dig/try it.....which is weird. I think it's my location.;):D:D:D

Looks like your really developing them well and they enjoy your handling...:cool: Your pretty much crushing it....damn good horts in shorts!!!:):):):):):)

When it comes to BRT, I have zone envy.:mad::D:D:D:D

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a little iffy with the style myself but understand the attraction. Really an exotic look and sometimes I question myself why I don't dig/try it.....which is weird. I think it's my location.;):D:D:D

Looks like your really developing them well and they enjoy your handling...:cool: Your pretty much crushing it....damn good horts in shorts!!!:):):):):):)

When it comes to BRT, I have zone envy.:mad::D:D:D:D

Thanks @LanceMac10 They do well here in Dallas. I'm going to try a dome top like the picture below. If I dont like it I can always make it flat again. It may spend the rest of its life with guy wires to keep this shape.
ca27c3eca0b04eb8e4e596eeb132a92a.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a pool guy over today giving me a bid and he was into bonsai for about 4 years. He said something funny about the flat top. Said it looked wild. like something from the movie Avatar. He really like it. Thought the Avatar thing was pretty funny.
I've been wanting to remove the 2nd pad and jin the branch all year but just haven't done it yet. It would make it look like its growing to the left even more. I like the thought of that plus its easier to maintain one pad vs two.
20170921_161523.jpg
20170921_160841.jpg

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder if the second pad branch just needs some curves/movement in it? Similar to the Branch two over in the above picture.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if the second pad branch just needs some curves/movement in it? Similar to the Branch two over in the above picture.

I can move it up down and side to side but it would be hard to put movement into now. Its super hard. I may be able to put a downward bend in it and then angle the pad up to compensate for the angle change.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided to bend the lower branch into the natural arc/bend of the lower portion of the trunk. I am ok if it brakes. Been wanting to remove it for a long time. I did hear a big snap but I noticed the tool slipped off the wire. If it works great and if not off it goes. If it stays the pad will need to fill in.
20170922_174342 (Small).jpg

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
Awesome tree! @c54fun Love it so much I bought one from wigerts nursery. Came in the mail late last night (I guess Tis the season for the ups guy). Just a pre bonsai so I have some years a head of me, probably gonna chop it to a nub right before spring and and start to head in a similar direction. Figured I'd let you know your tree looks badass! So much so it inspired me to get one myself!

Top Bottom