Brazilian raintree flat top

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome tree! @c54fun Love it so much I bought one from wigerts nursery. Came in the mail late last night (I guess Tis the season for the ups guy). Just a pre bonsai so I have some years a head of me, probably gonna chop it to a nub right before spring and and start to head in a similar direction. Figured I'd let you know your tree looks badass! So much so it inspired me to get one myself!
Thats great you got one. They are a lot of fun to work with.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great looking tree;). NASTY thorns:eek:! Personal 2 citrus trees many too many thorns already:confused:.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also how's the bending of that branch going? Looking forward to seeing how it turns out

I took all the wire off yesterday. The branch is set. Didn't move at all when I removed all the wire and clamp. I may end up removing the small pad completely next year. The bigger the tree gets the more I don't care for the 2nd pad. I will have to see how it looks next summer.

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
I have a suggestion... What about if you lowered the first branch even more then bend upward further out on the branch to mimic the Third branch and then separated the second branch to isolate another pad and then did the same bending to that branch as well. Kind of have it to where the second branch bend is a little wider and not as shape as the third then the first a more wider then the second so they are following the same path and slightly hugging each other in a since.

Aukai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My rain trees were getting shaggy and wire needed to come off. Thought I would post a few pictures. 2014-current progress. The small tree was new this year and is growing like crazy.
Tree in March 2014
View attachment 115679 View attachment 115681 View attachment 115682
Tree today needing a trim and remove wire.
View attachment 115684
Finished. I can make it much flatter but wanted to leave some on for now.
View attachment 115685
Wow! I love it. My BRT i got in July, was an air layer from I did with a club member, off his air layer he did a few years back. Ever since i got it and have been taking care of it, I saw a flat top. Ur first pic to finish is just awesome! Thank you for sharing. Here is mine along with my lil Gmelina orca-image-1507595103615.jpg_1507595104268.jpeg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! I love it. My BRT i got in July, was an air layer from I did with a club member, off his air layer he did a few years back. Ever since i got it and have been taking care of it, I saw a flat top. Ur first pic to finish is just awesome! Thank you for sharing. Here is mine along with my lil Gmelina View attachment 172409
Looking good @Aukai. They look healthy.

Random User

Reaction score
Great thread... I have enjoyed the two little BRTs that I got a couple of weeks back so much that I went and picked up a couple more to experiment on (today). Took them out of the small nursery pots (the first two) and put them into terra cotta bulb pots... a little heat and 6500K light from a set of T5's and they are off to the races. I'm really surprised that they are doing so well because Christmas Eve the power went out twice for a total of around 2 hours. In the morning I woke up to the nerve wracking sound of a squealing furnace fan motor and really cold toes. Managed to get it working for two cycles and then it quit around 9:00 am Christmas Day.

The mercury had dropped out of sight a couple days before the 25th, when an Arctic mass moved in and hovered over the area for the entire Christmas week. At one point, (I think it was New Years Eve) it managed to get to -50C over-night (factoring in the wind chill)... thankfully it wasn't quite that cold during the 25th, 26th, and 27th, but it t'weren't warmer than -30C at any time during the day.

Long story short, I managed to keep the house around 15C in the basement where the trees are and 13C upstairs, until I finally got a new fan motor and installed it in the evening of the 27th. I had a small space heater blowing under the light cabinet that I made and have the trees in... this kept them a little warmer than the 15C basement, but they didn't get light for the entire time because I needed the power for heaters.

In the last 4-5 days they have exploded with new buds and don't show any signs that this mistreatment effected them at all...

I was really hesitant to get these trees because I thought they would be difficult to keep alive in this drafty old house; but they have proven to be real troopers!

Just stopped in here to let Northerners know that they are much hardier than I would have thought... now I'm off to a boug thread to leave a snippet there...

Have fun with the Raintrees!

jazzaero

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm jealous of your Raintree. I really love the flat top and ever since I've seen yours I toss around the idea of doing it to mine. I'm in texas too. Do you use any organics in the soil for moisture retention?

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm jealous of your Raintree. I really love the flat top and ever since I've seen yours I toss around the idea of doing it to mine. I'm in texas too. Do you use any organics in the soil for moisture retention?
I use a little extra regular potting soil with it. I have done it with a straight boons mix type and a couple of years ago started using some potting soil mixed in and I like it better. When it gets real hot I layer the top with sphagnum moss.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had a pool guy over today giving me a bid and he was into bonsai for about 4 years. He said something funny about the flat top. Said it looked wild. like something from the movie Avatar. He really like it. Thought the Avatar thing was pretty funny.
I've been wanting to remove the 2nd pad and jin the branch all year but just haven't done it yet. It would make it look like its growing to the left even more. I like the thought of that plus its easier to maintain one pad vs two.
View attachment 161468
View attachment 161469
I like that lower branch development! Very nice balance.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not sure what species it is, but it's a nice flat top tree you may enjoy seeing
Nice looking trees. I like the way the trees cast a filtered sunlight and shade combination....and still have room for a light breeze to blow through. It may be hot....but the filtering seems to visually cool down the area. Mighty fine!

Top Bottom