Brazilian raintree flat top

Random User

Reaction score
@Paul F.

You're in the right State to easily find something worth having... just look around.

I saw your other thread about seed, and I wouldn't bother going that route... you can save a lot of time, and choose the shape of the tree if/when you find something in a nursery. At the very least you could find someone who has one and ask for an air layer off of it, or a cutting... although, I'm still trying to find a reliable way to make a cutting take ATM, I'm fairly certain that it can be done easily.

@c54fun

Have you a method to propagate from cuttings?

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Paul F.

You're in the right State to easily find something worth having... just look around.

I saw your other thread about seed, and I wouldn't bother going that route... you can save a lot of time, and choose the shape of the tree if/when you find something in a nursery. At the very least you could find someone who has one and ask for an air layer off of it, or a cutting... although, I'm still trying to find a reliable way to make a cutting take ATM, I'm fairly certain that it can be done easily.

@c54fun

Sorry, never tried it with the raintree. With die back I wouldnt think it would work. Air layer maybe.

Random User

Reaction score
I know air layering works good... in fact I only had an air layer on a pencil thick tree for 5 weeks before separating it. However, the air layer itself has stalled since the separation, it is obviously still alive because it has back budded a bit, just not like the others in the group. I'm going to take a WAG that it is concentrating it's efforts on root development, but I don't want to molest it to find out.

I also have a 10-12" cutting in Gaia Green soil blend that is covered with a glass dome. The top 2-3 inches have died back... it will be another number of days or weeks before I can say for certain that that method is a failure or not.

Much earlier on, I tried a cutting wrapped in wet paper towel, and that was a failure without any doubt.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
@Paul F.

@c54fun

I wouldn't mind growing some from seed. I just like growing trees from seed but I definitely want one for a bonsai. I dont know where I would get a cutting from though. Ive never seen any BRT's down here..

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cuttings strike as well as Elms. Don't bother with seed, if for no other reason that you won't find any. Need a certain pollination process.
In fact, any BRT you buy is either a cutting grown tree or an air-layer.
Wigerts should be able to set you up with something inexpensive. They'll grow well in your climate, @Paul F.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Cuttings strike as well as Elms. Don't bother with seed, if for no other reason that you won't find any. Need a certain pollination process.
Wigerts should be able to set you up with something inexpensive. They'll grow well in your climate, @Paul F.

10-4. Ill check it out. Thanks!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
. Don't bother with seed, if for no other reason that you won't find any. Need a certain pollination process.
Hum.
I happen to have seeds. I've seen quite a few grown from seeds here in Brazil.
The seeds are controlled because there is some risk of extintion, but one can buy packs of 20 each.
Here, I don't know in the USA or Europe.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Talks a little about the dubious nature of getting seeds to America....
https://adamaskwhy.com/2018/05/16/a-flowering-brazilian-raintree/

I believe there is a certain wasp native to Brazil needed for pollination, but I could be wrong.
So easy to strike cuttings of pretty sizable girth, why waste time growing from seed?

@Clicio the comment was directed towards a guy in Florida....not BRAZIL!!! ;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D
But interesting you can buy packs of seed....but still....do you have one? If I lived down there, that's all I'd grow. Tough as nails and just as sharp!!!:eek::eek: Given proper conditions, probably grow year round.
I do live pretty far north, nights still 4-5 Celsius so growth real slow.

Perhaps I should have put in a qualifier regarding seeds actually IN Brazil?:cool::p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Picture of the trunk. Flattening out real nice.
View attachment 192692

Gettin' "muscley"!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: Weather is all over the place up here, but I brought mine out a coupleafew weeks ago. Probably finish off it's defoliation today.
Getting great growth down there!!!:):):)

Random User

Reaction score
Looking like hot weather for the next week. I removed the fertilizer and also the top layer. Trimmed the top layer of roots. Replaced with moss for the summer. My trees like plenty of water in the summer. This helps a ton.
View attachment 194102
View attachment 194103
View attachment 194104

The trunk on that tree kinda reminds me of a deer antler... mine are far from being this size. I really like that lower branch placement.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The trunk on that tree kinda reminds me of a deer antler... mine are far from being this size. I really like that lower branch placement.
Each year I think about removing the lower branch. It use to be pretty straight and I did a hard bend on it and it did crack but its healing. Lower branch looks better when it filled out more.
Here it is years ago with the lower branch pretty straight. It was part of the top but looked out of place being so straight. Very hard to bend it being that thick.
20151121_130843.jpg

Random User

Reaction score
Yep, I can see why you tried to bend it while you could... I have a little "pencil thick" (on the trunk) one that looks a lot like this tree of yours, the lower branch on it had to come down as well... I just hung a 3/4" nut from a wire (about 1/2 way along the branch) and left it there for about 3 weeks. I was surprised that it seemed to set in such a short period of time, but it has.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't posted pictures of this tree in a while. Its due for some wire and re shaping and some more trimming. This is what it looked like tonight with the leaves folded up. I plan on flattening it out more and dropping the canopy lower also.
20180703_202337.jpg

Top Bottom