Brazilian raintree flat top

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
The plant will get bigger by the same factor as the smaller amount of its growth that was not removed. And, you get ramification, the mother of taper.

Interesting.
Let's say the BRT is quite young, and needs some trunk thickening; "letting it grow crazily" will not thicken the trunk faster than snipping off the growing tips?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Think about it in terms of units of energy expended and units of mass retained. It will grow as much as it can. The larger number of small leaves that are retained will produce the same amount of growth as the lesser number of larger leaves that the plant would have if you didn't head it back, pinch-by-pinch. It will grow as much leaf surface as programed for a given cycle by either leafing out with big leaves or little leaves. What you don't cut off is retained. By trimming off a smaller mass, you will get compound growth, just like compound interest builds up over time. Adam Smith was really a closet bonsaiist and extrapolated his economic theories from his experiences growing JBP. (Not many people know this, but I have it on good authority.)

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Flat top is getting ready for a growth spurt. Its already shed a lot of its old leaves. Pretty bare at this time but not for long.
View attachment 226421

I'm glad I rediscovered this thread and read it. My BRT has been wintering in my office at work and I was worried about all the leaf drop but now I know that's normal. I can't wait for it to warm up so I can get it back outside!IMG_0456.JPG

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes they sure don't like it inside. They throw a fit and drop leaves usually.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Think about it in terms of units of energy expended and units of mass retained. It will grow as much as it can. The larger number of small leaves that are retained will produce the same amount of growth as the lesser number of larger leaves that the plant would have if you didn't head it back, pinch-by-pinch. It will grow as much leaf surface as programed for a given cycle by either leafing out with big leaves or little leaves. What you don't cut off is retained. By trimming off a smaller mass, you will get compound growth, just like compound interest builds up over time. Adam Smith was really a closet bonsaiist and extrapolated his economic theories from his experiences growing JBP. (Not many people know this, but I have it on good authority.)
I have read another theory on this forum saying the vertical growth stimulates trunk thickening because the tall the tree is, the more girth it requires to keep the tree standing up. Horizontal growth while does thicken the trunk, it is at a much slower pace compared to the impact from vertical grow of the main trunk. It may vary by species though.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

meaningless.....

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Humor. Genetically absent down east?

Top Bottom