Brazilian Raintree Potting Medium Ratios.

tmj6878

Seedling
Reaction score
I am new to the art of Bonsais and I have three small Brazilian Raintrees that need to be repotted in the best soil mixture. I would like to know each compound recommended for the mixture along with exact ratios for each component to have the healthiest BRT and encourage the most growth. Also I plan to get an old Brazilian raintree 35+ years old and want to know if it will require the same soil mix and ratios. I water them daily in Tampa, FL in indirect sunlight on my porch and fertilize with 20/20/20 once a week. Should I put it in the yard in direct light all day? Also please let me know any other recommendations if any.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As my brt is still having a hard time, curious to hear the outcome of this. @Clicio in Brazil these are in very organic rich mixtures right?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I am new to the art of Bonsais and I have three small Brazilian Raintrees that need to be repotted in the best soil mixture. I would like to know each compound recommended for the mixture along with exact ratios for each component to gave the healthiest BRT and encourage the most growth Also I plan to get an old Brazilian raintree 35+ years old and want to know if it will require the same soil mix and ratios. I water them daily in Tampa, FL in indirect sunlight on my porch and fertilize with 20/20/20 once a week. Let me know any other recommendations if any.

I use the same soil on BRT as everything else. They're not picky. They would prefer a lot more sun. Let em grow and prune. Don't defoliate.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Why do they need to be repotted?

Sorce

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use the same soil on BRT as everything else. They're not picky. They would prefer a lot more sun. Let em grow and prune. Don't defoliate.
have you had bad luck defoliating? Adam's blog recommends it to stimulate foot growth after a repot. I tried it for the first time last month and the tree is recovering nicely.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
One of mine defoliated itself, after a repot. :( It took a few weeks, but it finally bounced back. I did several others at the same time, and they took it in stride, no leaf drop. I wouldn't defoliate anything here now, being so close to having to come inside. But then Adam and @tmj6878 are both in FL. Different world.:mad:

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of mine defoliated itself, after a repot. :( It took a few weeks, but it finally bounced back. I did several others at the same time, and they took it in stride, no leaf drop. I wouldn't defoliate anything here now, being so close to having to come inside. But then Adam and @tmj6878 are both in FL. Different world.:mad:
I weighed the pros and cons before doing it and judged I had enough warm weeks still to go. Fortunately the weather has cooperated so far. What's your nighttime low temp before you finally bring yours in?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I weighed the pros and cons before doing it and judged I had enough warm weeks still to go. Fortunately the weather has cooperated so far. What's your nighttime low temp before you finally bring yours in?
When the lows are consistently 50, I bring them in, perhaps conservative, but I do it anyway. It's been in the 90's this week, but that can change in a blink of an eye. The temperature swings here can be ridiculous. I had to bring everything in last year Oct 17th. I remember, because I was pissed.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine is still in the soil that Brussels shipped it in. It appears to be about half pumice or lava rock and the other half organic something. It drains well but stays moist. The tree loves it and has grown like crazy, especially since about mid-summer once it got hot. Based on this season’s growth I would go with a pumice/hadite mix with about 50% pine bark.

tmj6878

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for everyone's response so far. I read today that Boon's mix is good (1 part lava rock, 1 part pumice, 1 part akadama, 1 cup horticulture charcoal per 5 gallon mix, and 1 cup decomposed granite per 5 gallon mix. What size particles should I use and can you add aged pine bark, if so how much?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for everyone's response so far. I read today that Boon's mix is good (1 part lava rock, 1 part pumice, 1 part akadama, 1 cup horticulture charcoal per 5 gallon mix, and 1 cup decomposed granite per 5 gallon mix. What size particles should I use and can you add aged pine bark, if so how much?
Where are you located? That mix is good if you live in a fairly wet area, or a cooler zone, or can water frequently during hot weather. I would suggest to use a mix with more akadama as the mix you are thinking of is generally better for trees that like dryer conditions. Raintrees like to be in moisture rich soil.

tmj6878

Seedling
Reaction score
QUOTE="JudyB, post: 679036, member: 12738"]
Where are you located? That mix is good if you live in a fairly wet area, or a cooler zone, or can water frequently during hot weather. I would suggest to use a mix with more akadama as the mix you are thinking of is generally better for trees that like dryer conditions. Raintrees like to be in moisture rich soil.
[/QUOTE]
I live in Tampa,FL what ratios do you recommend?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
have you had bad luck defoliating? Adam's blog recommends it to stimulate foot growth after a repot. I tried it for the first time last month and the tree is recovering nicely.

The tree can 'handle' it and they 'recover' fine but what is the point for the defoliations?? Raintrees already have an appropriate leaf size and ramify naturally. They also shut the leaves during the sunniest time of day allowing light to penetrate deeply even on a full tree. This creates deep back buds and new interior shoots. All without defoliations. So without defoliations this allows the tree to always have access to its solar panels to create growth. It sheds old leaves naturally very easily. And I realize Adam likes to defoliate BRT but actually his always looks very leggy and weak. Even prior to his defoliations the trees never seem super lush and full. Its just my opinion but I do have superb growth on BRT.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Given that @JudyB is in a 5B zone and prefers full akadama, you may want to follow the same plan, especially given the hotter weather you'll experience, unless you're able to water it multiple times a day. (you may still need to do so. I've not dealt with that kind of heat before, so I'm not sure how quickly it'd dry out.) On the positive side, that thing will probably grow like a weed in your climate.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
QUOTE="JudyB, post: 679036, member: 12738"]
[/QUOTE]

Be VERY careful about the quantity of Akadama in your soil in Fl. To much can turn to mud and kill a tree quick. I would recommend about 20% MAX. Humidity and daily rain during Fl summers will be dangerous. A drier mix is better. Water can be added but not removed.

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree can 'handle' it and they 'recover' fine but what is the point for the defoliations?? Raintrees already have an appropriate leaf size and ramify naturally. They also shut the leaves during the sunniest time of day allowing light to penetrate deeply even on a full tree. This creates deep back buds and new interior shoots. All without defoliations. So without defoliations this allows the tree to always have access to its solar panels to create growth. It sheds old leaves naturally very easily. And I realize Adam likes to defoliate BRT but actually his always looks very leggy and weak. Even prior to his defoliations the trees never seem super lush and full. Its just my opinion but I do have superb growth on BRT.
makes sense. Any other tips for strong BRT growth and good health in the Midwest?

tmj6878

Seedling
Reaction score
W

Be VERY careful about the quantity of Akadama in your soil in Fl. To much can turn to mud and kill a tree quick. I would recommend about 20% MAX. Humidity and daily rain during Fl summers will be dangerous. A drier mix is better. Water can be added but not removed.
[/QUOTE]
What about Boon's mix (1 part lava rock, 1 part pumice, 1 part akadama, 1 cup horticulture charcoal per 5 gallon mix, and 1 cup decomposed granite per 5 gallon mix. What size particles should I use and can you add aged pine bark, if so how much? Or what soil mix with ratios would you recommend in Florida?

Top Bottom