Brazillian Rain Tree Help Please

BonsaiJim

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello

I am a Newbee and have been looking around for a decent BRT for a number of months. I found this speciman for sale not to far away from where I live. I would like to ask your thought on this tree and it's chance for development. I live in FL. The gentleman is asking 400$ which I think is fair.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Height 30"
Width 26"
Trunk 1.25"
Nebari 2.5
Age 30

IMG_69381.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I personally won't pay $400 (not even half that) for it. Top main branch/trunk just look wrong to me and will take lots of time to correct. JMHO

It's got nice silhouette but the bones/structure is wrong. If I buy this...I will most likely gut it down to half the size (just above the first right branch) and rebuild. Maybe wire the 2nd left branch as new leader (which right now is a cross bar).

Last edited:

BonsaiJim

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks Dario

Maybe this one is better?

Thank you,...

10_19_2010_026_261.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I won't get this either.

Look at pictures of BRT's online and find what you like the most or certain styles then let those guide your purchase. It is a very personal choice. What I like may not work for you. Check the nebari, trunk movement, trunk/branch character (esp true with BRT). The rest will follow easily.

Good luck!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I have read several threads in the past few days about BRTs over at IBC http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/ . They have discussed vendors and training so I would suggest re-posting over there. I know of several folks on there from Florida that might even be right near you and could help in person.

BonsaiJim

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank both of you fellows for your help!

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hello

I am a Newbee and have been looking around for a decent BRT for a number of months. I found this speciman for sale not to far away from where I live. I would like to ask your thought on this tree and it's chance for development. I live in FL. The gentleman is asking 400$ which I think is fair.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Height 30"
Width 26"
Trunk 1.25"
Nebari 2.5
Age 30

IMG_69381.jpg

I like this tree! If it were in my area I would buy it for this price. Rain trees are rare in my area. I have never found one this nice in California. $400 is a fair price for this big tree I think. But I don't like the current silhouette of it. Too boring. I would reduce the height and silhouette of it. Here are some possible new silhouettes for it.

The second smaller tree is pretty good too, if it is cheaper. I would get it too.

Attachments

• brt plan2.JPG
    brt plan2.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 32
  • brt plan 1.JPG
    brt plan 1.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 34

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Jim, I don't think $400 is fair for this tree. If you live around Michigan, I can sell you a more impressive BRT for cheaper. All due respect to Si, of course. His virts are awesome and he knows his stuff. :D

Also, for what it's worth, you should check out Telperion Farms. You can get a very nice, massive tree for that price.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Price seems to be high to me. Have you contacted Brussel's Bonsai?

I purchased a large BRT (not sure of age) that was close to this size for 149.00 (sale price and not sure of retail price) about two years ago. I was at Brussel's this past weekend and did not look at the BRT's but it is worth a phone call.

Also, I suggest you contact Eric Wigert in Naples.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've bought a few from Jim Smith's Dura-Stone Nursery lately and have been happy with the trees I've gotten. The trees aren't as finished as the one you posted, but arrive very healthy in 2 gallon containers at 65.00 a piece + shipping.
CLICK

Here's a picture from my cellphone of couple I got recently
dura stone.JPG

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fangorn, Those are actually very nice for the price. I like the one on the right! You did good with your purchase!

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've bought a few from Jim Smith's Dura-Stone Nursery lately and have been happy with the trees I've gotten. The trees aren't as finished as the one you posted, but arrive very healthy in 2 gallon containers at 65.00 a piece + shipping.
CLICK

Here's a picture from my cellphone of couple I got recently
View attachment 23898

How large are these guys? I assume you didn't find them in the catalog... 0_o

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How large are these guys? I assume you didn't find them in the catalog... 0_o
They're approx. 30" tall with 1 1/2"- 2" trunks. You don''t get a picture of the tree your buying and for most places I wouldn't recommend buying a tree sight unseen, you can trust these guys

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
They're approx. 30" tall with 1 1/2"- 2" trunks. You don''t get a picture of the tree your buying and for most places I wouldn't recommend buying a tree sight unseen, you can trust these guys

I agree with this.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess, when it comes to price, its all about location.
Here is So.California, where BRT are rare, $400 for a large BRT is not too much. May be $300 would be a little less painful, but I would definitely not sell such a large tree for less than $300 around here. In fact, I just paid around $60 for a BRT the size of my middle finger (in diameter), and it is not more than just a stub, after I did a trunk chop on it two weeks ago. It's from Roy Nagatoshi's nursery, and it will take me the next 15 years to make something out of it. I would gladly pay another $200 if that would save me 10 years. You can make money, but you cannot make time, and life is short.

But Florida, where BRTs are a dime a dozen, may be a different story. It's a nice tree though, and just needs a couple of seasons' worth of work and some height reduction, to become a respectable specimen. It may have taken a couple of decades of work, for whomever developed it, so trying to bargain for $100 or $150 to get it, would not be a fair price, in my opinion. Of course, you can always try to find something like that on club auctions, and fire sales. Those are the places where you can get something for nothing.
The $65 trees shown in this thread are nowhere near the quality of the tree in question. Not even close.

Last edited:

BonsaiJim

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you for time with the last post!

BTW, I spoke to Jim today he has four of the 65$ dollar jobs left. They are the last of 100 or so that he had.

I am trying to spend a bit more so maybe I could have a decent tree in few years instead of 10 or 15.

I thank everyone for their time here, I have learned a lot. I am trying to get something from Erik on the west coast.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
In my opinion, it comes down to how much you're willing to spend vs how big & refined a tree you're looking to buy (as it usually does). The $400 option is much better than the $65 options. (my $65 BRT is attached here). I also bought a $15 dollar BRT from Durastone at the Gathering, as a gift for a friend. It's a nice plant, but definitely a step down from everything mentioned so far. You just need to figure out your budget and how much of a project you're looking for.

For reference, I've also attached a photo of the BRT greeting you at the entrance to last weekends BSF show exhibit. A fantastic tree, and something to shoot for perhaps.

SouthwestOrange-20120526-00780.jpg

Orlando-20120530-00787.jpg

BonsaiJim

Sapling
Reaction score
Jim, I don't think $400 is fair for this tree. If you live around Michigan, I can sell you a more impressive BRT for cheaper. All due respect to Si, of course. His virts are awesome and he knows his stuff. :D

Also, for what it's worth, you should check out Telperion Farms. You can get a very nice, massive tree for that price.

Alex, thank you I gave then a call but they do not have rain trees. But thanks,.

Top Bottom