Brazillian rain tree help

Sheasta

Seedling
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a BRT and have 100w 220 led (actual power consumption) 600 w claimed output 2'x 2 coverage grow light and I have it 18" from the canopy. I have it on a humidity tray, I have a little fan and I have a humidifier and after about 10-12 hours the leaves close. Does that mean it's getting too much light? I try to leave in one 15 hours a day but after the leave close is leaving it on doing more harm than good? Some leaves look like they're beginning to burn. I can't imagine 18" is too close or that a sun loving tree such as this is getting too much light. Thoughts? It'll be indoors until summer. It's a young small tree. I live in Seattle area.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Your distance and time are probably fine, they tend to be finicky with changes., ie new home, moving in our outside. Just maintain your soil moisture and it'll bud back, even if it drops 100% of the foliage initially. Good luck!

Sheasta

Seedling
Reaction score
He's a little guy I got for free in a 4" plastic pot. He had what looked to be regular potting soil so I also repotted him in a pretty deep bonsai pot (did no root trimming due to time of year) with better draining soil. Will post a better pic when I get home 867DA668-530B-4D03-9693-D41614861811.jpeg

Sheasta

Seedling
Reaction score
EE2C55A4-EFD7-4FD3-84DB-FA2B7D27E6FD.jpeg2039A8E8-1A1A-43DF-A742-E9D228FAB067.jpeg

Here's how the leaves look. Lights only been on 12 hours. Leaves are closed. Sometimes close after 8-10 hours even

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The leaves open during the day and close every evening under natural conditions. However, when they're first brought inside after having been outdoors, it throws off their circadian cycle and they freak out for a while before they get adjusted to their new environment and the different intensity and timing of your artificial lights. Basically, your tree has jet lag and it will be ok in a week or two.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks healthy to me, just adapting. Mine took a while to adapt but did super well after the fact. If it’s about 50f consistently, I recommend keeping it outside. They don’t like indoors very much. If it’s too cold then no worries, enjoy your little guy :)

Sheasta

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks healthy to me, just adapting. Mine took a while to adapt but did super well after the fact. If it’s about 50f consistently, I recommend keeping it outside. They don’t like indoors very much. If it’s too cold then no worries, enjoy your little guy :)
It's going to start going below 50 on some nights within a month I'd guess. I figured he'd not wanna adapt to outside for such a short time only to come right back inside. I'm excited to see him grow up

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom