Brazillian rain tree time to defoliate?

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So ive read a few posts of the rain tree here, and a couple of them had a link to a post that said this tree needs defoliation every once in a wjile, and tells you when to do it by the leaves turning off green/yellow and buds form at the base of the petiole. Well in the pic you can see that some leaves are turning off color, and there are some buds. But here my questions because not all the petiole have a bud at the base, does this still mean I should defoliate? Or is this another issue like overwatering?

I bought this at a bonsai nursery, still in nursery soil but it drains well.
20210419_080520.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Best time to defoliate is when the tree is the strongest, after the first push of growth in the summer has hardened. Do you keep this tree outside at all? I have just put my Brazillian rain tree outside for the season, but it is only now starting to push early growth.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Best time to defoliate is when the tree is the strongest, after the first push of growth in the summer has hardened. Do you keep this tree outside at all? I have just put my Brazillian rain tree outside for the season, but it is only now starting to push early growth.

It is too early to put a BRT outside in Ontario, Canada.
I am a bit south of Ontario where the OP is, and it is still too early to put them out here.
I wont be putting them out for another 6 to 8 weeks.

As for defoliating a BRT. You dont NEED to defoliate them regularly.
It is something you do when you need to wire or really look at the tree's structure.
And yes you only do it when they are growing strongly.
If I were to defoliate mine, I would do it in mid May.
However I agree with Lance, you dont need to defoliate, you need to prune.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is too early to put a BRT outside in Ontario, Canada.
I am a bit south of Ontario where the OP is, and it is still too early to put them out here.
I wont be putting them out for another 6 to 8 weeks.

As for defoliating a BRT. You dont NEED to defoliate them regularly.
It is something you do when you need to wire or really look at the tree's structure.
And yes you only do it when they are growing strongly.
If I were to defoliate mine, I would do it in mid May.
However I agree with Lance, you dont need to defoliate, you need to prune.
Ok thanks for all your info, there are a few shoots that are taking off so I will prune those back. Is this the reason why these leaves are turning yellow? Or is that a seperate issue? And yes it is still to early. Will go out in may.
I bought this tree late winter early spring, and since then has pushed lots of new foliage, still growing activley but will be going outside as well.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this the reason why these leaves are turning yellow?
All plants naturally defoliate old leaves as new leaves come in. It can be deciduous or conifer, maple or rose bush, pine or ficus.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Something to think about, if you want your tree much larger it may be better to let those runners go and to not trim them back at all. If thickening is the goal I don’t have a problem with letting mine extend several feet before pruning back.

Once your shape and trunk size is where you want it, then cutting back the leggy shoots is the way to build your ramification.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Something to think about, if you want your tree much larger it may be better to let those runners go and to not trim them back at all. If thickening is the goal I don’t have a problem with letting mine extend several feet before pruning back.

Once your shape and trunk size is where you want it, then cutting back the leggy shoots is the way to build your ramification.
This is what I was thinking. Its not as thick as I want it at all. So I was going to let them run all summer. That was my plan anyways. However I have never had this many yellow leaves on this tree yet.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thickening? Wire up a single shoot in the apex and cut all other shoots in the crown back to a node. Well, half-way to ACCOUNT FOR THE INEVITABLE DIE-BACK.

Better to find a shoot a little lower on the trunk for thickening the base. These will thicken in a container with constant pruning. Not quite as "fast" as a sacrifice but you'll control the growth much more effectively.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thread I started in '16...check it out. Our climates are probably similar in many aspects. I handle these a little different than most. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/lances-two-trunk-raintree.24050/Y

I think the results are ok....let's be honest, we are a "touch" out of their normal growth range. ;) 😁😁😁😁😁😁

You have to be sure to keep the apex in check. You'll shade out lower branches the tree will abandon for apical growth.

A wider, shallower pot will let the roots run. You get better basal flair with these when they run free.

Have fun!!!:cool:

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thread I started in '16...check it out. Our climates are probably similar in many aspects. I handle these a little different than most. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/lances-two-trunk-raintree.24050/Y

I think the results are ok....let's be honest, we are a "touch" out of their normal growth range. ;) 😁😁😁😁😁😁

You have to be sure to keep the apex in check. You'll shade out lower branches the tree will abandon for apical growth.

A wider, shallower pot will let the roots run. You get better basal flair with these when they run free.

For some reason It isnt letting me go to that link right now but ill keep tryin. I attached a better pic, as you can see. It has gotten quite wild lol! I pruned it some when I got it and all those long shoots have grown in a month and a half indoors.

But I will trim those back, and hopefully have some nice bright growth in the middle of the tree as thats where most of the yellowing is :)

20210419_123105.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is this the reason why these leaves are turning yellow?

All of my BRT start to shed their leaves around February-March. Then in April they start to grow again.
They have done this every year. They do shed and replace leaves all year round, just seems to be a bit more during February and March.
It think it is because the tree is going through a period of lower activity like dormancy but not really dormant since they are inside.
So they start changing their leaves to prepare for new growth once spring arrives.

If they are yellowing in the center of the tree, it is probably because they are being shaded by ones above so they tree figures if they arent going to get enough light, I dont need to maintain these leaves and the water transpiration they have.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Top Bottom