8b
weather in the nethetlands is strange to
forsythia in the front garden opened 2 flowers couple weeks ago:eek:o_O

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yup, same hear. Only 2 or 3 light frosts in December, then a hard freeze around New Years, followed by last week's 3 day dip into the mid teens. The last 3 days have been downright spring-like with highs in the mid 70's and no cold at all for at least the next 10 days. Seriously, February could really be a bitch for me and many others in the south east after this extended warm snap. There is no way for me to keep my trees cold when night time temps are only falling into the mid 40's for weeks on end, and I can pretty much guarantee the cold is coming back...ugh.
EXACTLY! LOL

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, too warm. Even during typical "cold" winter's, it will usually rise above freezing during the day...snow or ice cover is fleeting at best.

Same experience here. Fortunately, I am far enough north that most of the warm days are staying in the 40s, and our 10 day shows all highs from 47-50F, so not quite warm enough for dormancy break for properly stored trees.

It was cold enough for ~1" of snow to stay for a week last week and I carefully piled dry fluffy snow on my cold frame boxes and other mulched in trees. Despite being out of the sun, the snow piles were completely gone after a day of 62F. Bottom line, snow cover in SE PA is ephemeral, and though the nights seem similarly cold to those in Northern VA, the days don't get as warm, so it is easier to maintain dormancy here than 3 hours south(not really shocking).

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Same experience here. Fortunately, I am far enough north that most of the warm days are staying in the 40s, and our 10 day shows all highs from 47-50F, so not quite warm enough for dormancy break for properly stored trees.

It was cold enough for ~1" of snow to stay for a week last week and I carefully piled dry fluffy snow on my cold frame boxes and other mulched in trees. Despite being out of the sun, the snow piles were completely gone after a day of 62F. Bottom line, snow cover in SE PA is ephemeral, and though the nights seem similarly cold to those in Northern VA, the days don't get as warm, so it is easier to maintain dormancy here than 3 hours south(not really shocking).

Same here in Dublin and honest looks all are dormant so far. Or dead :eek:

Grimmy

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
sounds like prime time to collect some trees.

last year in michigan about this same time in january we had a spurt of 60 degree rainy days. I collected carolina honrbeam and a beech those days, granted they weren't bare rooted or severely chopped, both trees had many branches, rootballs buried in the garden soil and mulched in. next 2 days later it was back in the 20's with heavy snow until spring. both trees thrived all growing season. this week the weather people are projecting 4 or 5 days in a row of night temps not below 32, I plan to repeat the method for data.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here in 'lovely' (sarc) Memphis TN we spent a couple weeks going from 20 to 65/70 then back to 20 again. Now we're 10+ days straight 50-65 daytime highs. Everything but the maples is rolling out and a couple satsuki's are getting started. Aggravating, but definitely a 1st world problem.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm glad I put a bunch of trees in my garage this winter, the temp is very stable, only 53℉ at the most on the warm days.
But my mugo, outside, has been growing all winter.....

HAMMER-SCHLAGEN

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Enjoy your warm weather from Minnesota, last week was -14f. My only tree is covered completely in snow. What about cold frames to stabilize temps for you? I've been thinking about making something.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am getting more and more tempted to take the trees out as I look at the long range forecasts. I just have to remember that the winter storage keeps temperatures down when on the milder side and that is what we want.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I am getting more and more tempted to take the trees out as I look at the long range forecasts. I just have to remember that the winter storage keeps temperatures down when on the milder side and that is what we want.
Exactly. My trees are all staying on the ground and hopefully out of the sun. If I were to put them on the benches, the sun would warm the pot soil even more would almost guarantee the end to winter dormancy. I do have several chojubai quince pushing little leaves....the bonsai 2 step has started for them, and me.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got one word for anyone in the mid-Atlantic states worried about warmer temps--mulch, lots of it. A simple pile of mulch can remain MUCH colder than surrounding air temps, especially after a deep cold spell like we had a few weeks ago. I am not worried about anything breaking dormancy at this point. I know it's up to 20 degrees colder at the center of the pile where the pots are than the air. Same can hold true in deep cold. That "lag" in temperature can last a week or more. Shade the mulch and it can last longer.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We are lucky here that at least the nights have been in the 40's, better than 50's at night... And cloudy. That makes a world of difference!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Taking them out now in Pennsylvania would be pretty damn foolish. We are hardly done with winter. Taking your trees out will accelerate their growth (IF they've completed their "chill hour requirements--which is doubtful).

Not to be an asshole, but you must not have been doing this for very long. Warm spells come and go. Taking trees out in mid-January because we've got a string of warm days is silly and possibly dangerous for your trees. Sit tight, keep the trees as cold as possible (out of the sun, shaded). This will pass.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's called the January thaw around here.
This happens every year here to a certain extent.
And I know February is still coming. It is our coldest month every year.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for the word of caution Rockm. This is my first year wintering trees up north in my adult life, so the concept of half of January having well above average temperatures being the norm is surprising to me, though I have heard of "January thaw". I am sure most years this mild period lasts more like a week. The pond in the park, which was just starting to really ice over(really thin though) has melted and there is a sign that says, "stay off the ice for better conditions later". Doubt these better conditions come to pass this winter.

I am not worried about my trees, most of which will stay in shade, since daily average temps should stay in the mid 40s (average of daily highs and lows).

I do indeed believe February will feature both the coldest temperatures and the most snow of the season, or at least I am hoping!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
weather in the nethetlands is strange to
forsythia in the front garden opened 2 flowers couple weeks ago:eek:o_O
Strange. I am 20km from the dutch border and here things have been frozen solid for 2 weeks now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Exactly. My trees are all staying on the ground and hopefully out of the sun. If I were to put them on the benches, the sun would warm the pot soil even more would almost guarantee the end to winter dormancy. I do have several chojubai quince pushing little leaves....the bonsai 2 step has started for them, and me.
My chojubai are a mix of leaves on some, flower show on others, and a couple of lethargic old ones...and I see we have another freeze anticipated next week after 70 or so on the weekend...sweeet

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My chojubai are a mix of leaves on some, flower show on others, and a couple of lethargic old ones...and I see we have another freeze anticipated next week after 70 or so on the weekend...sweeet
I've got a big trident in a 15 gal can that thinks it's March:rolleyes:. I don't mind the shuffle with a few shohin, but seriously??

Top Bottom