Bright orange/red mites

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello all. I'm posting this for a buddy of mine. He has a collection of indoor ficus and other such trees you get at Walmart lol. Well they are infested with bright orange mites. Can anybody give a good suggestion for something to use to "murder" them?

Thanks!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Where does he keep them? Are you sure they're mites and not aphids? If they're outside they could even be chiggers. Pretty sure one of my Ficus has those.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
He keeps them inside on a window sill but takes them outside sometimes for the day. Yes they are mites

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently heard Those Called predator mites here.

I have never seen them stop walking...

So it Makes sense.

Sorce

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A friend of mine uses a solution of hydorgen peroxide and water (mostly water) to kill of small pests on his indoor plants. You can water the soil with it or use a mister. Google will have a ratio of water to peroxide. He's had great results

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where does he keep them? Are you sure they're mites and not aphids? If they're outside they could even be chiggers. Pretty sure one of my Ficus has those.
Chiggers really. So glad I do not live in that area. Had enough of those when I was stationed in Georgia!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A friend of mine uses a solution of hydorgen peroxide and water (mostly water) to kill of small pests on his indoor plants. You can water the soil with it or use a mister. Google will have a ratio of water to peroxide. He's had great results
Thanks! I will tell him

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I watched one of them scour a spruce the other day.

Definitely predatory.

Just running up and back every needle, then moving to another branch, and hitting every needle again.

Quickly...and every needle...once.

Amazing.

The jumping spider army is fully active too!

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I watched one of them scour a spruce the other day.

Definitely predatory.

Just running up and back every needle, then moving to another branch, and hitting every needle again.

Quickly...and every needle...once.

Amazing.

The jumping spider army is fully active too!

Sorce
Lol, you'd be surprised hearing the jumper spiders here in skyscraper.:)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well they are infested with bright orange mites.

It is quite possible at this time of year to have mass amounts of Clover Mites, google images of them to ID. They are tiny and bright. If they are those or most any other type of mite Ortho Home Defense does not stain or leave marks on any surface. It can also be sprayed outside around windows and the base of the house as a barrier. Inexpensive and safe it also kills a LOT of pests. I have been using it on tropicals when they get placed outside and a day before they are brought in and find it quite effective.
It is quite inexpensive for what it does at around 10USD a gallon at Home Depot or similar Big Box places - http://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/home-defense-insect-killer-indoor-perimeter/prod70044

Grimmy

Top Bottom