Bringing in the tropicals, would these lights work for winter?

MavyBoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So a cold front is moving in and looks like it'll be here to stay for awhile. I knew this day would come, I just was not looking forward to it!
This is my second winter with bonsai (first with tropicals), and I think these lights should do fine, but I would love to let someone who has done this before weigh in.
I'm also 'ballin' on a budget', but I'll do what I need to to ensure they survive the winter.
Any help is appreciated, and my ficus'es certainly thank you as well.

Alfalex

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm using T5HO with great success, just keep the light as close as possible without burning the leaves...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think these lights should do fine, but I would love to let someone who has done this before weigh in.
These are very good lights and I have two of them that I use for seedlings and cuttings. I am not sure what you have to light up, but this light would be sufficient for 2 to 4 of my tropical bonsai depending on size. The 4 light fixture would be a whole lot better. I don't know if you were following the recent thread on lighting, but there is a ton of info there you should see. It was just a couple days ago.
Also consider that you will need heavy duty humidity trays with pebbles, and a small fan. Other things may be desired depending upon where you set up. Do yourself a big favor and review the former thread on lighting.
Best of luck.

Alfalex

Seedling
Reaction score

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good looking display. Do you have vents and fans in it? I hope so.

Alfalex

Seedling
Reaction score
No fans, I finds that if you keep temp over 21C you don't get mildew problem. They are keep in complete inorganic substrate and dry completly in 2 days, temp raise to 30C in daytime. T5HO emite quite a lot of heat but tropical don't mind... They're some hole in the back for electric cable.

Aerial root grow like crazy in here.

Alfalex

Seedling
Reaction score
Have this one too for smaller tree, different T5HO in this one. The top is open and humidity is lower, aeral root grow less in this one. Except when I let the soil dry more they respond by throwing aerial root from anywhere except the right place...

Still I'm happy, not that easy to get some up here!

Alfalex

Seedling
Reaction score
And as you can see, always have trouble with fungus gnat when I brind them indoors.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So a cold front is moving in and looks like it'll be here to stay for awhile. I knew this day would come, I just was not looking forward to it!
I'm hoping it stays a little warmer than they are forecasting. I don't have my indoor set-up ready yet, and we are going out of town for a couple of days. I'm just going to set them up against the house, and hope for the best. I might bring in a couple of the really cold sensitive ones.

MavyBoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm hoping it stays a little warmer than they are forecasting. I don't have my indoor set-up ready yet, and we are going out of town for a couple of days. I'm just going to set them up against the house, and hope for the best. I might bring in a couple of the really cold sensitive ones.

My apartment doesn't leave much room for ingenuity, but I do have south facing bay windows which I think will be sufficient while i wait for the lighting set up to arrive.

These are very good lights and I have two of them that I use for seedlings and cuttings. I am not sure what you have to light up, but this light would be sufficient for 2 to 4 of my tropical bonsai depending on size. The 4 light fixture would be a whole lot better. I don't know if you were following the recent thread on lighting, but there is a ton of info there you should see. It was just a couple days ago.
Also consider that you will need heavy duty humidity trays with pebbles, and a small fan. Other things may be desired depending upon where you set up. Do yourself a big favor and review the former thread on lighting.
Best of luck.

I'm looking for the thread now! Thank you. I only have 3 smaller tropicals, nothing to major, I think this will be plenty big enough for them but I don't know very much (if anything) about indoor gardening, let alone regular gardening.. Hell, I'm lucky that I was able to learn how to properly water my trees lol.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No fans, I finds that if you keep temp over 21C you don't get mildew problem. They are keep in complete inorganic substrate and dry completly in 2 days, temp raise to 30C in daytime. T5HO emite quite a lot of heat but tropical don't mind... They're some hole in the back for electric cable.
Looks great and best of luck but I know they would benefit from more air exchange.

MavyBoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The light you selected will be fine for this.
I went ahead and ordered it. Wish me luck, lol. luckily my Chinese elm and JBP won't have to suffer under fluorescent light.
Thanks everybody.

Alfalex

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks great and best of luck but I know they would benefit from more air exchange.
Probably but it's a lot more work to water them indoors and more air exchange means more watering.... maybe once my kids are older :)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went ahead and ordered it. Wish me luck, lol. luckily my Chinese elm and JBP won't have to suffer under fluorescent light.
What is the reference to Chinese elm and JBP? I assume the plants you are bringing in are tropical plants.

MavyBoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What is the reference to Chinese elm and JBP? I assume the plants you are bringing in are tropical plants.

Oh, they're my only 'outdoor' trees. I just meant that I'm glad I can keep at least two of my trees in their natural climate. Instead of all of my trees suffering under indoor conditions, atleast 2 of them will be where they want to be. sorry for the confusion, I will most certainly not be bringing my CE and JBP inside.

Alfalex

Seedling
Reaction score
My tropical don't seem to suffer under T5HO, they even seem to grow tighter foliage under artificial lighting then under the weak sun of Quebec...

Top Bottom