Bringing out the sheen in Stones

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I have collected quite a few stones over the years. Most are textured and look best as they are but lately I have found a couple which I would like to bring a sheen out in--maybe even polish a little. What products and techniques are you stoners using to do this?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey crust, there are a lot of stone heads over at IBC, maybe ask there...

I have a butt load of rocks too,must wondering what makes them either rocks or suseiki?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Purists will tell you that ANY polishing with more than skin oils is forbidden. So rub 'em against your forehead. ;)

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Purists will tell you that ANY polishing with more than skin oils is forbidden. So rub 'em against your forehead. ;)
I am rubbing now.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
some people use simple oils like olive oil ( i like cold pressed xtra virgin myself ) ... I also sometimes use beech nut oil ... honestly all of them work.... and facial oil works as well ..... technically I use what ever I think of at the time.... :p

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When a stone is a real suiseki, meaning from a water source, and has patina from a half a million years of water torture, absolutely nothing is needed to bring out a sheen.

it will "sheen" all on it's own.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I can find the odd pebble in the chalk,rafted out to sea and entombed for 65 million years,often though they seem to be glacial morraine as an infill in fissures in the lower upper chalk as the upper upper chalk was sheared off the locality during one of several periods of glaciation.

Looking at the local quarry walls there are pockets of brown dirt eroding out of the galleries,it's off limits so i cannot get to examine them for contents,these extend the the lower reaches of the pit and presumably represent the middle chalk.

Could each of these represent a rafting or maybe the fissures run quite deep?

Anyhow,these are the only hardrock geology in the area so getting rid of iron staining,calcite and glauconite from specimens is a must as incomplete diagenesis is unnatractive.

Flint nodules are unnatractive too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom