Bringing the Hammer Back. Barkreation!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sound's like the dog park.

We know a lot of stuff got mistranslated in text books.

I started thinking if the hammer theory didn't get mistranslated as well.

Hammering the trunk doesn't make it bigger!

But here is my argument, to say...

Hammering the trunk does cause bark!

Barkreation! Woof!

20170307_132207.jpg

You see the top branch here has no bark throughout, except for the place where it got hit, likely by a beaver felled tree.

Zoom helps, but in person you can clearly see where the trauma caused actual barking.

I've seen due to wiring on my ficus, buckthorn, and elms.

I've seen it elsewhere.

Heard tell of weeds in the pot causing bark.
Weeds blow in the wind and hit trunk, is that enough?

Most importantly, can we do this safely enough to utilize it?

Probably not.

But if it is so simple as keeping a popsicle stick with streamers blowing on your trunk which would also sou me as a cake thief deterrent....

Wouldn't it be worth it to do a crafts project with those kids @namnhi ?

Sorce

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sound's like the dog park.

We know a lot of stuff got mistranslated in text books.

I started thinking if the hammer theory didn't get mistranslated as well.

Hammering the trunk doesn't make it bigger!

But here is my argument, to say...

Hammering the trunk does cause bark!

Barkreation! Woof!

View attachment 136652

You see the top branch here has no bark throughout, except for the place where it got hit, likely by a beaver felled tree.

Zoom helps, but in person you can clearly see where the trauma caused actual barking.

I've seen due to wiring on my ficus, buckthorn, and elms.

I've seen it elsewhere.

Heard tell of weeds in the pot causing bark.
Weeds blow in the wind and hit trunk, is that enough?

Most importantly, can we do this safely enough to utilize it?

Probably not.

But if it is so simple as keeping a popsicle stick with streamers blowing on your trunk which would also sou me as a cake thief deterrent....

Wouldn't it be worth it to do a crafts project with those kids @namnhi ?

Sorce
Sorce,
Is the barked up part of the trunk mainly caused by trauma? It looks to me like it has aged a bit more compare to the part of the trunk where there isn't any bark on it yet. Are you saying I could get my 5 1/2 year old a hammer and have him go at it with me trees.... and one day I will get some pretty awesome trunks?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce,
Is the barked up part of the trunk mainly caused by trauma? It looks to me like it has aged a bit more compare to the part of the trunk where there isn't any bark on it yet. Are you saying I could get my 5 1/2 year old a hammer and have him go at it with me trees.... and one day I will get some pretty awesome trunks?

No No! Lol!

Popsicle sticks, clad with tiny yarn or shiny streamers like tinsel, to gently tap the trunk all day in the wind!

Added benefit 1. Craft time with kids!
2. Squirrel/bird deterrent.
3. Moisture check stick...

And if it causes bark!
It wouldn't be damaging to the trees!

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees with wind-chimes?

Bonsai w/2-Chainz?

Cat toys?

I'm half expecting the guy with the jet-fighter "question" to pop his head in this thread....:D:D:D:D:D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees with wind-chimes?

Bonsai w/2-Chainz?

Cat toys?

I'm half expecting the guy with the jet-fighter "question" to pop his head in this thread....:D:D:D:D:D

I imagine 2 chainz couldn't roll on dubs if we didn't innovate past the square wheel!

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I do not know about a hammer, but trauma certainly causes bark to come on earlier with JM! I have experienced this myself numerous times. Tried a technique of scaring the trunk on one some years ago, and it developed mature, rough looking bark over that area much sooner than many older, larger trees. I eventually sold that one... but kind of regret it... was a cool little project! I have one today that is scarred up a little from wire and it too is developing mature grey bark in those areas at a much younger age than other trees of comparable size... so it works, at least with JM, to scar the trunk and get better bark. I can confirm it... be careful obviously, you don't want big, nasty scars...

I will tell you what I found effective for a more natural look was the vertical slits around the base of the trunk using a razor... do a bunch at random spots. Don't REMOVE CHUNKS OF BARK, don't use a blunt instrument or even a knife... use a razor, make small, short vertical slits in a random pattern in the areas you want the bark to expand and it will- no need to go really deep either... just barely into the green. It will heal the cuts and the callous tissue seems to run into itself, push flakes of bark up and eventually it can almost make a regular JM look like a corker! Takes a year or two before you see the best results. I wa planning to do it to a few cutting I have in development this year just because it worked so well previously.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome reply @Eric Group !

I am seeing great progress in early trauma too.

New theory in my head has the first 3-4 years of growth focused on Nebari and near killing the tree...

Taking advantage of a sapling vigor, to get it Old fast....then grow it out....
Then refine....

Speaking of trauma!

I have always wanted to put hydraulics on my car....
Not just for suspension...

But to push out 3/4 steel bars from srategic places in order to puncture or otherwise mar, radiators, wheels, paint, licence plates...etc...

Oh and more functional, A boot scraper!

Sad thing for my "fellow motorists".....

That crane I built with my last employer, buttoned up my hands on knowledge with hydraulics!

And I'm getting a truck soon!

And that will have me way ready for the Zombie Apocolypse!

And I said it....so I kinda have to come with some pics right!

I'm gonna throw a sensor on it to disable it when a traffic camera is present...

This way I can't get caught!

Go along with my rotating license plate frame idea.....

TMcriminalI?

They're only ideas!

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Awesome reply @Eric Group !

I am seeing great progress in early trauma too.

New theory in my head has the first 3-4 years of growth focused on Nebari and near killing the tree...

Taking advantage of a sapling vigor, to get it Old fast....then grow it out....
Then refine....

Speaking of trauma!

I have always wanted to put hydraulics on my car....
Not just for suspension...

But to push out 3/4 steel bars from srategic places in order to puncture or otherwise mar, radiators, wheels, paint, licence plates...etc...

Oh and more functional, A boot scraper!

Sad thing for my "fellow motorists".....

That crane I built with my last employer, buttoned up my hands on knowledge with hydraulics!

And I'm getting a truck soon!

And that will have me way ready for the Zombie Apocolypse!

And I said it....so I kinda have to come with some pics right!

I'm gonna throw a sensor on it to disable it when a traffic camera is present...

This way I can't get caught!

Go along with my rotating license plate frame idea.....

TMcriminalI?

They're only ideas!

Sorce
I might be a skinny white (complexion) dude, but I wish I could have a dark green drop top 63' impala on some white gold Daytons and full hydraulics. ID BE ROLLIN!!!:D

Aaron

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not know about a hammer, but trauma certainly causes bark to come on earlier with JM! I have experienced this myself numerous times. Tried a technique of scaring the trunk on one some years ago, and it developed mature, rough looking bark over that area much sooner than many older, larger trees. I eventually sold that one... but kind of regret it... was a cool little project! I have one today that is scarred up a little from wire and it too is developing mature grey bark in those areas at a much younger age than other trees of comparable size... so it works, at least with JM, to scar the trunk and get better bark. I can confirm it... be careful obviously, you don't want big, nasty scars...

I will tell you what I found effective for a more natural look was the vertical slits around the base of the trunk using a razor... do a bunch at random spots. Don't REMOVE CHUNKS OF BARK, don't use a blunt instrument or even a knife... use a razor, make small, short vertical slits in a random pattern in the areas you want the bark to expand and it will- no need to go really deep either... just barely into the green. It will heal the cuts and the callous tissue seems to run into itself, push flakes of bark up and eventually it can almost make a regular JM look like a corker! Takes a year or two before you see the best results. I wa planning to do it to a few cutting I have in development this year just because it worked so well previously.
I read about this technique about 40 years ago but have no idea where. It makes a l;ot more sense to me than other ideas proposed. I will try an experiment soon after I inventory exactly what I have to work with.

Top Bottom