Bringing Tropicals Indoors

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi,
I have two Jaboticaba trees that have been outside since I bought them july. It is getting cool on the north east so it will soon be time to move them inside under the grow lights. How do I treat the trees to prevent insect from coming in with the trees.

Thanks,
Mike

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I spray everything with Bayer 3 in 1 before I bring them inside.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
No, but I usually spray them a week or so before they need to come in, then again a day or so before. Haven't had a problem with bugs once they're in.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I used to do this I tried pretty much everything. Spraying, dunking, systemics, etc. Didn't matter what I did by mid winter I needed to take each tropical to the shower, give them a good wash and reapply insecticides for the second half of winter. One thing that did help? A sticky pest strip to trap all the little flying things around the trees while they're inside.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I used to do this I tried pretty much everything. Spraying, dunking, systemics, etc. Didn't matter what I did by mid winter I needed to take each tropical to the shower, give them a good wash and reapply insecticides for the second half of winter. One thing that did help? A sticky pest strip to trap all the little flying things around the trees while they're inside.
Once inside insecticidal soap will take care of most problems.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
By the time I bring in plants to the plant room there are very few insects around outdoors. I do treat them prior to bringing them in and inspect the substrate for compaction, unwanted moss, weeds, and critters. Also pays to remove anything Squirrels plant in some pots :p
I actually to a top down scrub out of the plant room prior to all that and test humidity, lights, timers, change air filters, and ceiling fan operation. I always have a spray can of Home Defense in there but so far have not needed it. That stuff is pretty cool as it leaves no marks on painted or cloth surfaces.

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can neem oil be used or is Bayer 3 in 1 the best for this? Already have the neem oil.

Neem oil is very limited in what it controls. If you want to prevent an outbreak of scale, neem will work.
Bayer 3 in 1 is more comprehensive in what it controls

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
Neem oil is very limited in what it controls. If you want to prevent an outbreak of scale, neem will work.
Bayer 3 in 1 is more comprehensive in what it controls

My concerns are aphids, scale, and spider mites. Last year I did the soap, alcohol, water thing when bringing in my plants.

I ended up with quite a red spider mite infestation on my Portulacarias and bought neem to clean them up. It worked very well.

I started transitioning in some of my plants doing the alcohol/soap/water thing again this year and came across this post.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My concerns are aphids, scale, and spider mites.

Might not want to hear this but use chemicals that work rather then home brew... Been there, done that and it simply "sucks" ;) Potted plants are FAR weaker then in ground and require a bit of help...

Grimmy

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
So the suggestion is to use the 3 in 1 rather than neem?

My plants moving indoors are:
Ficus
Portulacaria Afra
Bougainvillea (I'll remove flowers to lower bee interest)
Schefflera
Natal plum

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My concerns are aphids, scale, and spider mites. Last year I did the soap, alcohol, water thing when bringing in my plants.

I ended up with quite a red spider mite infestation on my Portulacarias and bought neem to clean them up. It worked very well.

I started transitioning in some of my plants doing the alcohol/soap/water thing again this year and came across this post.

Neem will help with scale, not aphids or mites

I will add that it is going to be very difficult to succeed in this hobby if you plan to avoid all chemical pesticides. I dont like using them either but sometimes it is necessary. Its not a matter of if you have a pest, its when youll have them. Some things cant be controlled effectively with organic means. The key is to use them wisely, per the instructions and only when you need to in the case of insecticides. Fungicides have to be used as preventative in many cases.

Also, vigilance helps. Examine your trees every day if possible to help identify problems before they become a problem

Last edited:

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
Neem will help with scale, not aphids or mites

I will add that it is going to be very difficult to succeed in this hobby if you plan to avoid all chemical pesticides. I dont like using them either but sometimes it is necessary. Its not a matter of if you have a pest, its when youll have them. Some things cant be controlled effectively with organic means. The key is to use them wisely, per the instructions and only when you need to in the case of insecticides. Fungicides have to be used as preventative in many cases.

Also, vigilance helps. Examine your trees every day if possible to help identify problems before they become a problem

I have no problem using the 3 in 1, just wanted to know whether I could use what I already had in my stock rather than run out to purchase something new. I have already picked up the 3 in 1.

Thanks everyone!

Top Bottom