Bristle Cone Pine (longaeva)

Utah Bob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in Utah and have just been introduced to the Bristle Cone Pine (Longaeva) and I am fascinated with the trees history.
I would very much like to find a small seedling for sale, to bonsai. I have not found any and was wondering if anyone would know where I can find one. Pinus Aristata, Sherwood compact Bristle cone Pine are available but I would like the Pinus Longaeva.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where in Utah are you located? Judging by your USDA Zone info, I'd guess the lower half of the state, eh?

Last edited:

Utah Bob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Outside of Beaver and you?

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bristle cone pine are not used as Bonsai material due to quite a few reasons. One of the main reasons is the species seem to ooze sap out of it when in younger stages which is near impossible to be removed from the bark, they also thrive in arid conditions only living in high mountainous altitudes and seem to be impossible to keep alive in just about any other geographical location. The species also is known for having extremely long internode length, growing EXTREMELY slow, as well as an abundance of other problems that make it near if not impossible to cultivate this species as a bonsai. My local Bonsai Club had a demonstration by a well know bonsai artist (I cant remember his name for the life of me, but maybe a fellow Midwest Bonsai society member can chime in) and there was a club member that questioned the use of this species and there was a good long discussion he gave about the species and its problems.

Aside from that they are an absolutely beautiful tree species and if you have seen them in the wild they seem to be almost alien since they are the only thing that can survive in their situated locations and have such personality. If you are ever in California you should go into the mountains and see them (if you haven't already). They are so different and strange that they really cant be described in words.

Last edited:

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm up in Logan. It gets so cold here that my my bonsai choices are a bit limited :(

Utah Bob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Mike for the information. I seen pictures of them and like you say they are wonderful. My avatar is a bristle Cone Pine. A friend here in Utah tells me they are near by at 10,000 feet and wants to take me to see them. I had hope to pot a small one to have as a conversation piece since the history of the tree is so fascinating.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have to admit it would be truly awesome to have a tree as a Bonsai that can live over 5,000 years.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for posting the URL Fred, these photos are great. I especially appreciate the shot with the snag of jin in the foreground. Looks like a great place to get some peace and quiet!

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a great place for peace and quiet. Cedar Breaks doesn't get very many people going through, but it is popular with extreme hikers and rock climbers. That leaves the bristlecones for you and me.

And thanks, Brian.

Utah Bob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is another awesome site google (Evanescent light bristle cone pine downloads)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You got me curious so I spent a few minutes searching the internet for pinus longaeva seeds. There are many people asking about them and it doesn't look like anyone sells them. You might have to settle for pinus aristata.

Chris

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I've seen a few pictures of bristlecone pine bonsai, but they weren't all that impressive. As others have implied, this seems to be a tree best enjoyed in its native habitat.

Utah Bob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Treebeard55 you just did meet a pine species you didn't like. Its all in the eye of the viewer.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Treebeard55 you just did meet a pine species you didn't like...

Bob and Mike, maybe it's in the understanding of the word "like." I like bristlecones, admire them, and find their longevity awesome (in the original sense of the word.) But I don't think they make promising bonsai stock.

So you could take it either way, gentlemen. <laughing too>

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I live in Utah and have just been introduced to the Bristle Cone Pine (Longaeva) and I am fascinated with the trees history.
I would very much like to find a small seedling for sale, to bonsai. I have not found any and was wondering if anyone would know where I can find one. Pinus Aristata, Sherwood compact Bristle cone Pine are available but I would like the Pinus Longaeva.
Thanks
Hi Utah Bob! I know I'm replying late but... I've purchased online a Pinus longaeva seedling from Forestfarm Nursery: https://www.forestfarm.com/pinus-longaeva-pilo332 . I think the nursery is physically located in Oregon. Also, and he is out of them now, but a few years back I got a seedling from https://www.giant-sequoia.com .

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks

My first ones came from Utah Forest service Nursery. ( Next to a prison). Closer to home;).

Is this the type of treee that needs fire to release the seed from the cones??

NO.

If still interested search present site (BN) for more recent Bristlecone threads which include pics of personal tree of about 24 years. Also if able to use it Bonsai Mirai Live archive has first training of Yamadori Bristlecone pine. Beautiful transform:cool:.

Some inaccurate info in(negative comments)post #4 above from chicago.

Top Bottom