Bristle Pinecone care

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is a perpetual problem, Vance. I don't think there is anyone that wants to hear about it any more.
That my be true except when someone may be expecting an answer from me about something. So----did I piss in your punch or something?

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That my be true except when someone may be expecting an answer from me about something. So----did I piss in your punch or something?
My wife just informed me of the saying, "who pissed in your Cheerios?" Got a kick out of it

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I live in seattle, where mom nature loves to water heavily all year round with the exception of about 3 summer months. I have 3 BC's and they do just fine with my standard soil of a third each of pummice, volcanic, akadama( standard for my pines.) I put low numbered organic fertilizer in tea bags, end of june thru september so they get small amounts each time i water. What I've learned over the years is careful repotting with minimal root disturbance. don't fertilize heavily or too early. I love my whitebarks that refine up so nice. and am working to improve my skills with limber. They're much more course. (frowns)

I get lots of visitors to my display garden and bristlecones are my favorite as they always draw a comment regarding they're white pine pitch on the needles as if they have some kind of disease. LOL

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I live in seattle, where mom nature loves to water heavily all year round with the exception of about 3 summer months. I have 3 BC's and they do just fine with my standard soil of a third each of pummice, volcanic, akadama( standard for my pines.) I put low numbered organic fertilizer in tea bags, end of june thru september so they get small amounts each time i water. What I've learned over the years is careful repotting with minimal root disturbance. don't fertilize heavily or too early. I love my whitebarks that refine up so nice. and am working to improve my skills with limber. They're much more course. (frowns)

I get lots of visitors to my display garden and bristlecones are my favorite as they always draw a comment regarding they're white pine pitch on the needles as if they have some kind of disease. LOL
White Bark is an other Pine I am very interested. Would it be possible for you to post a couple of pictures of them?? PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE. Thanks also for the information on the BC's I have a source of some small ones I am now thinking they may be worth the investment. You have the pitch on the needles? I believe this means they are Longevea, or am I wrong?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance please allow an interruption. Aristata have the most resin spots on needles. Longaeva have very little or none and believe balfouriana have none. This is most characteristic of aristata. Most glad to see your shared interest in these most ancient of trees:D.
Information according to Lanner from the Bristlecone book.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I also would be most happy to see pics of your Whitebarks and Bristlecones;).

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance please allow an interruption. Aristata have the most resin spots on needles. Longaeva have very little or none and believe balfouriana have none. This is most characteristic of aristata. Most glad to see your shared interest in these most ancient of trees:D.
Information according to Lanner from the Bristlecone book.
Thank you for the correction, I seem to have misplaced my Lanner book. I have been interested in these trees and have asked questions about them since my first days on the INTERNET bonsai sites.

Top Bottom