Broken again?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I heard today that William Valavanis has broken his foot. Sad news as he had to cancel his workshops at this years Shohin convention in California. I am sorry to hear of your foot Bill. Is this the second time?

You will be missed out here on the left coast.

Get well, Al

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Al,

This is my THIRD foot break. I broke my left foot in 2007, and again in 2008 (same bone, same foot). I tried real hard to get through 2009 without breaking anything, but did not. On December 18 my doctor discovered that my left foot is broken. I have osteoporosis and am being treated for it.

This break is totally different than the previous two where I had a removable cast. In fact, I went too Japan with the cast and scooter too. However this time its serious and I'm in a hard unremovable cast and my doctor will not allow me to fly. The break is positioned where it cannot be reattached easily so I really must stay off my foot if I don't want to limp the rest of my life.

I've already had the first cast replaced, it broke on the bottom, don't know how.... And the doctor put two extra rolls of fiberglass to keep the cast intact.

I'm very disappointed that I can't attend the California Shohin Seminar because I enjoy them very much and like sharing my thoughts on bonsai with friendly people. I have attended and taught at all the past California Shohin Seminars except the first one. If you also remember Al, I did not make it to the GSBF Convention in November because I was teaching in Taiwan on the same weekend.

In addition to missing the California Shohin Seminar I had to cancel my annual trip to Japan to see Kokufu-ten. Last year I could not attend because our home burned down, and now the foot! It's a good thing I spent nearly the entire month of November in Japan so I don't forget what the Japanese bonsai look like.

Have you ever driven with your LEFT foot, sober?

Thanks for the good wishes!

Bill

Attached is current photo taken in my new office and another photo taken of me on the streets of Japan in 2008.

Attachments

• WNV-2008.jpg
    WNV-2008.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 106
  • WNV-2009.jpg
    WNV-2009.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 115

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So sorry to hear about your foot, Bill. I broke my foot twice in the past 10 years myself. The last time I included my ankle. Hope you are a quick mender.

Sincerely,

DaveV.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I broke my butt bone again this year, I will never learn to stay indoors when it's slick and I have had a couple of scotches. Get well soon.

keep it green,
Harry

Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the bright side, you already had the scooter! :D

Seriously, though, get well soon!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,

I have attended and taught at all the past California Shohin Seminars except the first one.

Bill

Attached is current photo taken in my new office and another photo taken of me on the streets of Japan in 2008.

That is an amazing story about your foot/feet. That first seminar you missed, it was a hoot! Right here in Fresno Cali-for-ni-A. All the rest it was decided would be more centrally located in Santa Nella on the I-5 corridor.

And the answer to your sobbering question...yes! in 1999 for six months before my back surgery. I looked like I was drinking!

Stay in the scooter, Al

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I broke my butt bone again this year, I will never learn to stay indoors when it's slick and I have had a couple of scotches. Get well soon.

keep it green,
Harry

What the hell is a butt bone? You mean theres a bone in there? Mine is rather fleshy:rolleyes:

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Maybe Harry has a hard butt and thought there was a bone in there!

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Or maybe Harry thought !.!.!.!.! better not.

Just kidding Harry.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
What the hell is a butt bone? You mean theres a bone in there? Mine is rather fleshy:rolleyes:

Don't you listen to music. The foot bone connected the the shin bone, the shin bone connected to leg bone, the leg bone connected the the butt bone, so on and so on. Just kidding, the real reason for the butt bone, is to keep you from falling in the toilet when you read the morning paper, otherwise you ooze into the crapper like an octopus thru a keyhole.

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Seriously Bill: I can see from your pictures that you can still smile, don't stop doing that especially with the knowledge of a causal reason for what seems to be a re-occurring problem. I hope you get well soon and keep in mind what you were doing when the event took place; then get help for those tasks. I've got a few years on you and I remember how discouraged I initially felt when I discovered there were some things I could do when I was thirty, that I can not do now without risking injury. Take care of yourself, you are important to the rest of us and we care about you.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Seriously Bill: I can see from your pictures that you can still smile, don't stop doing that especially with the knowledge of a causal reason for what seems to be a re-occurring problem. I hope you get well soon and keep in mind what you were doing when the event took place; then get help for those tasks. I've got a few years on you and I remember how discouraged I initially felt when I discovered there were some things I could do when I was thirty, that I can not do now without risking injury. Take care of yourself, you are important to the rest of us and we care about you.
I agree with Vance....Work smart not hard Bill....

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
Al,

This is my THIRD foot break. I broke my left foot in 2007, and again in 2008 (same bone, same foot). I tried real hard to get through 2009 without breaking anything, but did not. On December 18 my doctor discovered that my left foot is broken. I have osteoporosis and am being treated for it.

This break is totally different than the previous two where I had a removable cast. In fact, I went too Japan with the cast and scooter too. However this time its serious and I'm in a hard unremovable cast and my doctor will not allow me to fly. The break is positioned where it cannot be reattached easily so I really must stay off my foot if I don't want to limp the rest of my life.

I've already had the first cast replaced, it broke on the bottom, don't know how.... And the doctor put two extra rolls of fiberglass to keep the cast intact.

I'm very disappointed that I can't attend the California Shohin Seminar because I enjoy them very much and like sharing my thoughts on bonsai with friendly people. I have attended and taught at all the past California Shohin Seminars except the first one. If you also remember Al, I did not make it to the GSBF Convention in November because I was teaching in Taiwan on the same weekend.

In addition to missing the California Shohin Seminar I had to cancel my annual trip to Japan to see Kokufu-ten. Last year I could not attend because our home burned down, and now the foot! It's a good thing I spent nearly the entire month of November in Japan so I don't forget what the Japanese bonsai look like.

Bill

Bill,
Get well soon,
Boon

Top Bottom