Broken branches and white glue.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
At least once of year… I end up having a broken branch that needs repair. This year there happen to be a huge windstorm that snapped a leader of one of my Montezuma cypress. If the brake is bad enough I usually wire and put a dab of gorilla glue over the wound. It seems to give a bit more rigidity than just throwing cut paste on it. Over the years I’ve only had to do this about a few times. I have noticed that on each branch that I have used white glue on a rather ugly bulbous scar appears. Wondering if that has anything to do with the use of the glue or is it just the amount of damage to the branch. The trees I did not use glue healed nearly seamlessly.
A175B315-0C20-4F9A-BEC7-CD6BA56AD8E1.jpeg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'd vote for the help also.
Has worked for me when needed.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm too good to ever break a branch, but when I see some dumb ass do it, I coach them to put some hormone in the wound, re-set it as best they can to the original position, set the wire to support the original angle of the dangle and cover the whole thing with a big gob of the gooey Japanese stuff in the yellow tube to exclude air from the wound. I expect the sap to bridge all the internal gaps and lignify over time. Usually, it is indestinguishable from the rest of the stick and I put a loose ring of wire on it (like a loose engagement ring) because that branch will never be in the position I wanted it to be in and without something to tell me not to reposition in the future when I've forgotten why it ain't in the best position, otherwise I break it again.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
'm too good to ever break a branch, but when I see some dumb ass do it,
Bhahahhahaha!!!!!
I will say I have only broken one branch when I was wiring…The rest has been left to mother nature and kids with samurai swords.

hormone in the wound, re-set it
Interesting… Thanks for the tip I’ll definitely give that a shot should I ever have to do it again.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I forget you desert dwellers can use water based glues cuz water evaporates before it reaches your trees anyway, so it's not like you can't use water based materials to heal wounds! Lol!

"But how they do it in Japan"....

Definitions of "sun" must vary so greatly.

Sorce

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Is that a thumbs toward you, "this guy"?
Hahahahah a thumb towards me....

funny… I had not payed attention to the superglue method but there’s a lot of info on it. But I also remember a thread a year or so back where waterbase glues were also a good choice.

Wonder if the bulbous section is just a large scar.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve used my daughters white school on chops, works well.

In woodshop in HS teach had us only using Elmer’s school glue, said wood glue was a waste of anyone’s money...still have a table I made, holding up fine.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hahahahah a thumb towards me....

funny… I had not payed attention to the superglue method but there’s a lot of info on it. But I also remember a thread a year or so back where waterbase glues were also a good choice.

Wonder if the bulbous section is just a large scar.

I was hoping some real chemistry person would understand what is going on.

To me, its as simple as that outer skin acting like the baggie, and the Inner wet glue acting like the wet sphagnum.

I think the "wetness" of the glue penetrates the wood to a degree where it is mixing with sap and keeping it "wet". This is because of what I've watched Vaseline do.

When in doubt. Nature don't use glue. And a broken branch, means it wasn't meant to be. Allow it.

Sorce

Top Bottom