Broom Elm

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I got this 4 year old Elm (or Zelkova?) for free when I bought another bonsai from a fellow bonsai enthusiast. It may not look like much now, but I thought it was a really nice gesture!
He grew it from seed, then chopped the trunk in order to create a broom-style tree. I can't remember which (sub)species it was... Either Ulmus Procera/minor or Zelkova serrata. Frustrating! I should post some close ups of the leaves later on. It was pruned a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I'm posting this for personal future reference. If you have any tips on growing broom style trees, I'd be happy to hear them!

1cIkcTm

PWOkTrM

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Looks like a good start, and for free no less! needs some thinning though. There is a huge section to one of the bonsai today mags that is all about creating brooms, its worth finding a copy because it shows step by step creating a broom style from basically the same stage you are with this elm!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bro!

Excellent start!

With That dead straight trunk you almost MUST do it traditionally!

See that Marky thread tag!

Sorce

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Looks like a good start, and for free no less! needs some thinning though. There is a huge section to one of the bonsai today mags that is all about creating brooms, its worth finding a copy because it shows step by step creating a broom style from basically the same stage you are with this elm!

Yeah, I'll have to select some branches for a solid base next winter. I've read alot about those articles in bonsai today! Not sure if I can get a reasonably priced copy here in Belgium though...

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Bro!

Excellent start!

With That dead straight trunk you almost MUST do it traditionally!

See that Marky thread tag!

Sorce

Thanks, Sorce! Definitely going to post the progression here.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Quick fall update of this little tree:
PA175688.JPG
PA175687.JPG

PA175689.JPG

PA175690.JPG

I'm not really happy with the branches right now... They all come out of two bulges, one at the top and one below the cut. The base is a approx. 1 inch below the soil surface, so it would be rather tall when I repot it, given the size of the trunk right now.

I think I'm going to start from scratch. Repot it in spring, with the base just below the soil level. Then chop the trunk and start over again!

What do you think?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that's a good idea.
I would also put it into a colander on a tile next spring too.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Just finished repotting! Pretty decent root base, nice and radial. Not all on the same level though... Two large roots that needed to be trimmed in order to slow their growth. That way the other roots can catch up.
20180308_153555.jpg

The base was really deep! I didn't think the whole trunk was this long! Doesn't really matter though. I'm going to chop it and start over again.

20180308_153630.jpg

Trimmed the large roots. That's about it for now!
20180308_153810.jpg

The previous owner had planted it in dried cow dung mixed with pumice :D I was pretty sceptical at first, but he swore it worked. His other young trees were thriving! So today, I bought a bag and I must say it isn't at all what I expected.
It's pretty gritty, soaks up water, but holds its structure. It's not used as a fertilizer, but as a medium to improve your garden soil, to make it lighter and aerate it. It has 50% organics in it.

20180308_161957.jpg

I mixed it with 50% fine lava and used it for this tree. I know a lot of people are against using organic materials in bonsai soil (I really don't want to start another soil war here...), but does anyone have experience with dried cow dung?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No experience other then improving my garden soil ..... never seen or heard about this method tough
I got a bucket of this stuff but no thank you im happy with my soil :p

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've used a small amount of manure in various mixes, even used about 10% manure for Cymbidium and Phragmipedium orchids.

I would keep organics at 50% or less for elms. Myself I've never gone over 20% manure, usually 5% maybe 10% when or if I use it. I only use it for trees early in training. Not on trees in bonsai pots. I have not used any manure in the last few years. Too many weeds.

I usually use Douglas fir bark for organics. Fewer problems.

Top Bottom