Broom styling rules or guidelines?

Reaction score
Get your branches going up more. Make a tighter V.
Is that your tree in the picture? Also I know if I bring branches up to a tighter V it will make it a little more dense, but how to get yours that thick? Keep cutting back I assume? The tree in the picture is awesome, but I have always like the canopys that you can see threw. Being able to see inside the tree. That's what I was aiming for on this tree in time. So with that being said I feel like I should bring my bottom branches down? Almost horizonal, but not quite.. any feedback be great

Attachments

• IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3848.jpg
    IMG_3848.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 71

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is that your tree in the picture? Also I know if I bring branches up to a tighter V it will make it a little more dense, but how to get yours that thick? Keep cutting back I assume? The tree in the picture is awesome, but I have always like the canopys that you can see threw. Being able to see inside the tree. That's what I was aiming for on this tree in time. So with that being said I feel like I should bring my bottom branches down? Almost horizonal, but not quite.. any feedback be great
That is my tree.

Deciduous trees, and Zelkova brooms in particular, look best in the winter. With no leaves. That's when you can see the dense twigging and ramification.

If the tree is open enough to be able to see thru during the summer, it will look sparce in winter.

Here's my tree in winter:

IMG_0072.JPG

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Stunning tree! Did you do anything to prevent reverse taper or a bulge in the place where the branches grow from the trunk?
No, didn't have to. This tree was grown from a seed, not via the chop method.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For a great tutorial on the ways to create various forms of broom style trees, the Kyosuke Gun mini bonsai book on zelkovas is one of the best I've seen. It's in Japanese (there may be a french version, but so far, no english versions from what I've heard), but the step-by-step pictures are so detailed and clear that you don't need to know Japanese to follow along. I'm playing around with some zelkova and american elm seedlings for something a little different, but I expect you can use apply the same techniques to larger trees.

https://www.amazon.com/kyoÌ-suke-zu...HEU_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1499787772&sr=1-6

By the way, all his books are really good if you are interested in developing small trees. There are ten books in the series, organized by species (quince, crab apple, azalea, ume, zelkova, japanese maple, trident maple, black pine, shimpaku, needle juniper). I tend to lean towards bigger trees, but after seeing Haruyosi's work, I've started trying out smaller trees.

https://www.facebook.com/Haruyosi-382984108464574/?fref=ts

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Are there any rules on the trunk thickness:height ratio for brooms?

I've got a small maple with an ugly wound (from the previous owner) on the trunk. The trunk is pretty straight up and taperless and I'd like to make a broom out of it, but becasue of the wound I'd only be left with a 1.6cm thick trunk that's only a little over 3.5cm tall. That's roughly a 1:2 trunk thickness/height ration which seems a little too short?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is my tree.

Deciduous trees, and Zelkova brooms in particular, look best in the winter. With no leaves. That's when you can see the dense twigging and ramification.

If the tree is open enough to be able to see thru during the summer, it will look sparce in winter.

Here's my tree in winter:

View attachment 152693

This is so beautiful! Did you “tie it up” for the winter or did you wire your branches over the years? I would love to see a picture of it this year!

I have a “bonus” little cotoneaster that was in the pot with a larger piece that seems to insist it is a broom. Pardon my simplistic questions but...
1) Do I need to have a leader to add to the main trunk or just keep going with the side branches as is?
2) I am assuming if it wants to back bud low on the trunk I should allow that for a few years to thicken the trunk?

I do understand first it needs to develop roots! The poor thing has almost none of its own at this point. Hence the wire holding it in the pot...
5CFB27CE-5ABC-44A3-AE22-F87179D48E41.jpeg6E6ED8A3-D70A-46A5-91D5-8D5BB192C276.jpeg

Top Bottom