Broom styling rules or guidelines?

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a very small zelkova (or elm, I can't remember :/) that I want to style as an upright broom. I can't find any good guidelines, tips or progressions regarding this style. (I already posted the little guy in the 'tree section': https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/broom-elm.28427/)

I thought it'd be better to ask for tips about the broom style in this section. Are there good resources online? Does anyone of you have experience with this style?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I have a very small zelkova (or elm, I can't remember :/) that I want to style as an upright broom. I can't find any good guidelines, tips or progressions regarding this style. (I already posted the little guy in the 'tree section': https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/broom-elm.28427/)

I thought it'd be better to ask for tips about the broom style in this section. Are there good resources online? Does anyone of you have experience with this style?

@Adair M @cmeg1 You guys know anything about broom Zelkova?

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
the way I understand it is this: it better be perfect or it be shit.

or " no one can so dont even try"

but basically must have perfect taper, perfect left branch right branch back branch and perfectly decreasing spacing on your stairwell.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t2285-clean-sweep-show-us-your-brooms?highlight=see+your+brooms

I hope @Bonsai Nut doesn't mind me posting the above link from another (practically dead) forum. It is an older, pretty extensive discussion on brooms with tons of examples and input from @Walter Pall and others. You'll have to join the site, if not already a member.

I don't mind posting links if the links have specific relevant bonsai content. I don't like links that are generic "come visit my bonsai web site" - of which there are hundreds.

Just to clarify, if you post here a lot and have a blog site or personal "my bonsai life" site and put those links in your signature, that is also fine.

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I bought this tree about almost 2 months ago. It was fully hacked back with just a couple leaves on it. I seen potential and bought it. I haven't kept up on it much other then guiding some branching. Does new a pruning.

Attachments

• IMG_3844.JPG
    IMG_3844.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3845.JPG
    IMG_3845.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3846.JPG
    IMG_3846.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 64

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm in the same boat. I bought this tree about almost 2 months ago. It was fully hacked back with just a couple leaves on it. I seen potential and bought it. I haven't kept up on it much other then guiding some branching. Does new a pruning.
Get your branches going up more. Make a tighter V.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Broom style elms should have a classic wine-glass shape to them:

View attachment 152675

Don't make the mistake of making your elm look like an oak. Or worse, a pine.
One of the techniques used is to tie all the branches up over the winter. Literally wrap string around them to get them to go up rather than out. Build the outward spread slowly. And once you have them tied up, shear the ends off.

Next spring, release the string, and let them be. If they stay upright, they'll develop new outside twigs because that's where the light is.

So, really, while you can wire branches, it's better to grow them into shape.

Top Bottom