Brother in law's Ginkgo

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a ginkgo tree my brother in law in Oregon has had for a couple years. I don't think he has done anything with it since purchase. Sorry, don't have any pics with leaves. This picture was the only one I was able to take before my phone died.
20171218_085217.jpg

I'm thinking it needs to be airlayered just above those ugly existing roots or graft some seedlings around maybe? (I have a bunch of those)Anyone tried that with ginkgo before? Whatever happens, that nebari is hideous. Anyone have more ideas?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that it has a single trunk rather than the flame style that alot of these end up being. Just gotta help those roots!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm thinking it needs to be airlayered just above those ugly existing roots

Start with that, let it grow 2 years after separation while attached to a board or similar keeping the roots spread. Just my 2 cents but exactly what I would do if I saw potential in the rest of the tree. No way to perceive it from pictures on the net...

Grimmy

Hamlet_Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
If that's a root which crossed under the trunk could you remove it without too much vulnerable/ scarred wood to create an exposed root design and lift the tree up once roots have thickened?
Good luck with it the trunk has some nice taper.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder what the other side looks like?

If that root has substantial fine feeders on it....

I wonder if you can't bury it in a deep pot so that root is vertical, and turn this "finally a non flambe" gingks into a semi cascade?

I don't think anyone will care about the roots at that point!

Sorce

Top Bottom