Brown itoigawa?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just got a new itogawa shipped to me from a well know dealer, I’m not going to name names because I want to do my due diligence in research first and I tried looking through different threads but it definitely came from a colder climate and now is in my so cal climate which doesn’t get that cold, only went through a 3 day shipping period but when I received it and opened it today the itoigawa is super brown, kind of purplish brown but kind of not

my question...is it normal for this variety to do that? It’s my first itoigawa

Attachments

• 2D511037-70A7-40D8-957F-472EF6F1F45A.jpeg
    2D511037-70A7-40D8-957F-472EF6F1F45A.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 225
  • EEC7677A-CCDE-447A-BCD2-FC7DDE486172.jpeg
    EEC7677A-CCDE-447A-BCD2-FC7DDE486172.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 245

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
curtains.....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Dam really? Ok well I’m going to contact the seller directly and see what’s going on ? lame

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The only purple in junipers I found is frost damaged and seems to be dying limbs.
Itoigawa's over here have had a few frosty nights but they're still pretty much green, with a brownish glow but not as brown as this one. Bummer.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Winter color. Itoigawa junipers display this more than some others. If it came from a cold climate, it looks normal. It should green up in a couple weeks in So Cal.
Look at the comparison among these Itoigawa junipers in winter vs. summer:
9FE37FE5-19BB-4632-B817-A3B3AD844CFC.jpeg00FA9EFB-5EE3-4DA6-B00F-69369A4FA937.jpeg
2F3D05C0-6E46-446A-8295-C9EB6C240A94.jpeg04D5F75B-E9CB-4AA1-AB08-E9834C9F2448.jpeg
ED768516-B41E-4083-97A4-1E56C0C7135A.jpeg

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Ordered mine two weeks ago probably same dealer my three are brown but soft

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know the species...but my crawling juniper is a similar color as is a lot of my thuja in the ground. I live in NE Ohio. The first winter my husband freaked when we had the thuja planted in fall. But it's normal if exposed to colder winds. If it's a reputable nursery up north...I tend to wonder if what your seeing is what is going on in my own backyard. Trees are snow covered currently, or I would grab a photo.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They take on a reddish purple color...my husband called them brown. Not sure exactly what your seeing with monitor colors being off possibly. I didn't see brown in your photos.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
my question...is it normal for this variety to do that? It’s my first itoigawa

Yes, it is normal for junipers to brown up a little in the winter. (Actually I think they take on a purplish or copper color) However, in my opinion that goes far beyond winter browning.

I think your hint is the one branch tip that remains green. If it were normal winter coloring, the whole tree would be the same color. You wouldn't see one green branch, and all the rest brown. They are called "evergreens" for a reason :) Even the examples in this thread of pictures of winter junipers still look green to me - just not as green as in their spring push.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes, it is normal for junipers to brown up a little in the winter. (Actually I think they take on a purplish or copper color) However, in my opinion that goes far beyond winter browning.

I think your hint is the one branch tip that remains green. If it were normal winter coloring, the whole tree would be the same color. You wouldn't see one green branch, and all the rest brown. They are called "evergreens" for a reason :) Even the examples in this thread of pictures of winter junipers still look green to me - just not as green as in their spring push.

Thats what i was thinking, i have seen the winter copper/purple colors from others on this site before but mine looks straight brown with only that one stem still green, unless the whole thing was buried in snow except for that one runner? im not sure? i emailed the seller ill see what he responds with thanks everyone for your input

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
It's perfectly normal. All my 'Itoigawa' are deep bronze/brown every winter. The inner foliage is usually still green in places. I have no explanation for that, but it is normal too. These junipers, which I believe came from our nursery have been down to 22F. I usually write on the box that the bronze color is normal, but it was a busy week and I forgot. A couple weeks at 70F and it will be green. I have even had reports that they started to green up while traveling in the box.

Anyone with concerns about our plants should contact me directly and immediately. I want to make sure you are satisfied.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
20190110_171438.jpg
This is the most affected juniper in my back yard. But there is still green on every branch.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a couple Kishu from Brent, love seeing him respond directly here - sign of a good guy. Great name ? My only regret is I should have bought bigger size, beautiful plants...

Brent

Top Bottom