Brown itoigawa?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks Brent and BTW.....

Had he mentioned your name initially, everyone would have recognized it as perfectly living....

You're Name and Product are THAT good!

Sorce

It was my bad for freaking out, Brent has a great reputation and that’s why I didn’t put his name out there I wanted to get opinions, I posted this thread after I had emailed him. you are all to quick! haha. I should have waited for him to reply before I posted, then I probably wouldn’t have even posted.

But now the info is out there with proof in the pics ? greened right up no problem

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I posted this thread after I had emailed him. you are all to quick! haha. I should have waited for him to reply before I posted, then I probably wouldn’t have even posted.
So, I am glad you did post. It is a very nice example of just how much these can change in colour. Next time someone receives a plant like this or has them in their first winter, they can find your thread and realize it is all fine. :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just got a new itogawa shipped to me from a well know dealer, I’m not going to name names because I want to do my due diligence in research first and I tried looking through different threads but it definitely came from a colder climate and now is in my so cal climate which doesn’t get that cold, only went through a 3 day shipping period but when I received it and opened it today the itoigawa is super brown, kind of purplish brown but kind of not

my question...is it normal for this variety to do that? It’s my first itoigawa
It's probably OK, the purplish brown color is the winter color of many Juniper species and if it were this dead it would be like opening a bag of potato chips; it would be full of crumbs and the foliage would crumble.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So, I am glad you did post. It is a very nice example of just how much these can change in colour. Next time someone receives a plant like this or has them in their first winter, they can find your thread and realize it is all fine. :)

thank you my thoughts exactly

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I know that this thread's mostly run its course, but for anyone that comes along later, as long as there's some purple in the off-coloredness (in winter dormancy), your tree's fine.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have a batch of Shimpaku cuttings that I took last fall and they are all purple and supple, I believe this to be a good sign that they have taken.

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty much every juniper at the local nursery here is brown or purple. Procumbens and Chinese being the exceptions since they are wintered under a roof. San Jose has held most of it’s color only exhibiting a light touch of bronzing. The local native variety of Virginia’s in the ground all have a very rich and dark plum tone.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It definitely varies by climate, i had another shimpaku that didnt brown up at all and my procumbens kept there green, so i dont think the 40's to 50 degree weather is enough to put them in the bronzing state...over all very good info

Top Bottom