Brown Leaf Spots - Chinese Elm

BigBallerBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently noticed my Chinese elm has many leaves with these dark spots on them. Any idea what this might be or how to fix it? Please help. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 32612F81-38A7-45FD-9BB9-7DDD5B2562B6.jpeg
    32612F81-38A7-45FD-9BB9-7DDD5B2562B6.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 56

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi everyone,

I recently noticed my Chinese elm has many leaves with these dark spots on them. Any idea what this might be or how to fix it? Please help. Thanks so much!
The first thing I would check is the drainage in the pot, is the tree staying too wet? When was the tree last repotted? How long have you been caring for the tree?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my experience, and it would seem our climate is fairly similar, Chinese Elms seem to do better for me if their soil is a little dry in our crappy "spring". Damp soil and chilly nights seem to cause these flair-ups. And there has been plenty of those...like for two and half months!

I've killed about 6-7 and my buddy killed his a couple years ago with a badly timed re-pot. I always seem to get useless "sub-tropical" varieties...they can't handle the massive temp swings we get in the northeast these days....:mad:

As mentioned, might be holding some water in the soil....

Still got one Elm though!
DSC00431.JPG

BigBallerBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
The drainage seems alright, after I water the holes at the bottom drain pretty quickly but the soil seems to remain damp for a while. Any way to improve that? I’ve been caring for it for about a month now. Do you think it’s more that the tree is just too wet and not a fungus?

Top Bottom