Brown spots and sticky leaves

Saywhatscotty

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm new to bonsai and have a ficus. Was growing strong for the first month or so. Then leaves started to be misshapen and some sticky residue. I applied a dawn soap treatment based on aphid suggestions I'd read. I am now seeing brown spots and burnt looking spots. I've removed the worst of them and the tree is growing some small leaves. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.20200829_132000.jpg20200829_132016.jpg20200829_132023.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sticky usually means scale or aphids. You have to re-apply if the infestation was bad, to get the whole cycle of the bugs.

Saywhatscotty

Seedling
Reaction score
Sticky usually means scale or aphids. You have to re-apply if the infestation was bad, to get the whole cycle of the bugs.
Thanks. The stickiness has lessened with the soap treatments, but the browning and spots started after. Not sure if there is something else I should do or just wait it out.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep a close eye on it and don't be too hasten to make many moves unless you are positive. It's good to act quickly, but you don't want to overdo it and do more harm than good.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you keep it in your car? Just asking because it looks like the pics are in a car.

Saywhatscotty

Seedling
Reaction score
Do you keep it in your car? Just asking because it looks like the pics are in a car.
No. It's sitting on our kitchen stove. Bit It's removed when cooking, lol. I also didn't realize it needed fertilizing weekly so maybe that is part of the issue?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Depending on your soil and how old the soil is or how long you haven't done it for it could need that. They do need pretty frequent fertilizing. I'm not sure if it would explain either of your issues though unfortunately. Someone will be able to point you the right direction though. Nothing happens too fast with plants though.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Looks like scale.

Capture+_2020-08-29-20-47-07.png

Sorce

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you're right. Didn't notice before, but there are alot of them now that I look. Do you know the remedy?
Soap and water.
Also unless your stove is right in front of a south facing window, it’s likely not getting quite enough light. A bright window is going to treat the tree better. The healthier the tree is the less likely it is to be attacked - pests like weak trees.

Saywhatscotty

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks all. I've scraped off the scale I could see and treated again with soap solution. I will continue to spray every couple of days until it clears up, hopefully. Will also go back to putting outside for a few hours a day. Was afraid that was exposing to pests.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks all. I've scraped off the scale I could see and treated again with soap solution. I will continue to spray every couple of days until it clears up, hopefully. Will also go back to putting outside for a few hours a day. Was afraid that was exposing to pests.
The weaker the tree is, the more pests will be attracted to it. Placing it outside, depending on where in the world you are, will help your tree be healthy, along with continued eradication of the scale. I would suggest that after spraying the soap, wait an hour or so and rinse the plant thoroughly. That will take the soap off the leaves, which could be causing the spotting as some leaves will clog pores with soap sprays. The soap will still do it's job on the scale, but then you can rinse the leaves off. I had to do this with a serrissa that didn't like soap on the leaves.

Please put your location in your profile so we can tell where you are and give you good advice for your climate.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you know the remedy?

Mechanical Removal is best.
You can spray soap bit I've never found it necessary.

Centipedes in the soil eat the other stages of the scale.

Sorce

Saywhatscotty

Seedling
Reaction score
I read alot about neem oil. Would it be good to try that? I removed all scale I could see, but hard to be sure I get it all. I've also only left the soap on for 5 minutes or so. Other posts show much longer time and to add a bit of alcohol, so I'll try that as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom