Brown tips on Juniper

Reaction score
Hello all. When I bought this Juniper, there seemed to be a touch of brown tips in the foliage underneath. That seems to have disappeared. Tonight I used Bioadvance 3 in 1 spray on it due to a bit of fungus I discovered. I noticed a bit of brown tips on top. Not sure if it resulted from the spray or if I just noticed it then. I just wasn’t sure if I could use the concentrate version in a normal spray bottle, and was reassured it was okay. Could this be the issue, or something else? Also the question I really need answered, will fixing this necessarily require a defoliation measure?
32AD0D65-F456-45B5-AADF-352C24B05EEB.jpegEB2081CA-41EC-4A6A-923F-ED95A5530409.jpeg

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello all. When I bought this Juniper, there seemed to be a touch of brown tips in the foliage underneath. That seems to have disappeared. Tonight I used Bioadvance 3 in 1 spray on it due to a bit of fungus I discovered. I noticed a bit of brown tips on top. Not sure if it resulted from the spray or if I just noticed it then. I just wasn’t sure if I could use the concentrate version in a normal spray bottle, and was reassured it was okay. Could this be the issue, or something else? Also the question I really need answered, will fixing this necessarily require a defoliation measure?

Did you properly dilute it per the instructions?

Assuming proper dilution, this could be mismanagement of the foliage or fungal. I'd hope it was fungal as that's more easily treatable. The fungicide in BioAdv 3n1 is pretty mild, so you may need something else if it doesn't prove sufficient. Mancozeb is usually pretty efficient at clearing up issues on Juniper. See if tip blight (phomopsis/kabatina) looks consistent with what you're seeing.

If this tree recently was pinched, that could also explain the discoloration at the tips. The only way forward here is to let it grow. Give it plenty of sun, watch the water, and only fertilize after you see good growth.

In either case, that soil isn't doing you any favors. (And could be leading to or exacerbating fungal issues.)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I see no buds on any tip and no tips on the tip either, which makes me think they were pulled off as a pruning technique.
Procumbens can usually handle that for a season, but it'll look like this for a while until there's new growth lower down.

With infections, it's usually the part of a plant that gets worrying signs.. Not the entire plant at once. This makes me think it's the work of a meticulous human being.

Top Bottom