Brown tips on Procumbens..

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Got home from vacay today and found this. Is this root damage from the repot, or over watered and under drained soil? It appears to be only on one shoot of one branch.

53CEBBCD-1FA2-4660-BDE2-B274FA817036.jpeg44368F8A-D48C-4021-9620-55513BE54A08.jpeg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Uh oh :(
I think you broke the functioning xylem of that branch with your styling work - that means the foliage won't get any water and will just lose what water it had to transpiration. SAD, but everyone that has ever made a juniper bonsai has done it at least once. Welcome to the club. ?✨

A common way to cover up these mistakes is to make it into a jin. Cut the foliage off. Sorta crush the branch along its length with pliers and the bark will slide right off. The xylem is probably still pliable enough that you can wire it an make it have an interesting flourish. You could, of course, wait to be sure, beyond any doubt, that the branch is dead. But, by this time next year the bark will be far more difficult to remove. Further, you may not like any of this jin idea and instead wish to just lop it off. That is okay, it is your choice. I'm just suggesting that you try stripping the bark and making it a jin before you do so.

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Interesting. I’ll inspect it more tomorrow and see if I can tell where I broke it.

Top Bottom