Brown vs. Yellow Larch needles in fall

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Does anyone know what determines the color larch needles turn when they drop in the fall? I see so many wonderful pictures of vibrant yellow needles, but both of my larch tree's needles turn a bland brown when they fall off. Any ideas?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think your Larch really doesn't "know the way to San Jose, lalalalalaaaaaaa.........:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Not really a proper growing climate for a Larch.....I don't think.:(

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Yes, I was wondering if it didn't get cold enough, so that is a possibility

I think your Larch really doesn't "know the way to San Jose, lalalalalaaaaaaa.........:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Not really a proper growing climate for a Larch.....I don't think.:(

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Native larches around here usually start out turning yellow and then progress to brown before they fall. It takes the onset of cold weather and a few weeks for that to happen.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine here in WNC started turning yellow this week after we had a cold snap that took us down to 25 one night. Larches are good in zones 2-7 so with San Jose being zones 9-10 I think you will be seeing alot of brown needles.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Yes, starting to sound like it doesn't get cold fast enough here. They grow fine, but I might be missing out on this aspect of the tree growing them here.

Mine here in WNC started turning yellow this week after we had a cold snap that took us down to 25 one night. Larches are good in zones 2-7 so with San Jose being zones 9-10 I think you will be seeing alot of brown needles.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
damn, northerners have told me i'm too warm for larch but you're zonal denial is admirable. How many years have you had your larch? In eastern PA I haven't noticed brown needles only yellow. I have most experience with native L. laricina but it's said that european and japanese are more heat tolerant. zone 7 for them versus my natives 6. Do you see them in the landscape out there?

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
I've had one for 2 seasons, and It has been growing fine (besides the yellow needle issue). It doesn't get too hot in San Jose, and I am pretty diligent about watering when it is dry.

damn, northerners have told me i'm too warm for larch but you're zonal denial is admirable. How many years have you had your larch? In eastern PA I haven't noticed brown needles only yellow. I have most experience with native L. laricina but it's said that european and japanese are more heat tolerant. zone 7 for them versus my natives 6. Do you see them in the landscape out there?

Reactions: GGB

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It will be interesting to see whether they persist or simply go into decline after a couple years in that climate. I was told mine wouldn’t survive in Zone 7 but you are in zone 9-10. Are these American Larch or Japanese or the European/Japanese hybrid?

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
The larches in question are the Japanese variety. I purchased the oldest from Lone Pine nursery (about an hour away) and they had numerous, all of which were healthy and thriving. I suppose it's possible that they will decline over time, but given Lone Pine's pedigree, I have faith they wouldn't sell trees that were on the decline.

It will be interesting to see whether they persist or simply go into decline after a couple years in that climate. I was told mine wouldn’t survive in Zone 7 but you are in zone 9-10. Are these American Larch or Japanese or the European/Japanese hybrid?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good to hear. I was planning to order some Japanese larch trees next spring for a forest so I will now proceed with more confidence than with the American larches I got back in August.

Top Bottom