Browning leaves on Elms and Prunus

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi all, Some of my deciduous trees have problems with curling and browning leaves. These include, in order, winter-blooming cherry (first 2 images), Kojo-no-mai cherry and Jacqueline Hillier elm. It happened in August-September where we had a month of no rain and high temperatures (over 90 F on several days). Most of the browned leaves were shed. I watered regularly, but overall it was a much hotter and drier period than usual. The plants are in plastic pots that are half-buried to keep their roots cooler and moister.

Is this just because of the heat and dryness, or maybe a disease? The winter-blooming cherry and Hillier elm are putting out new leaves, so this may be a temporary issue, but I worry that they won't be able to go into fall dormancy in time... Let me know if you have encountered something like this or have any advice on what to do. Thanks.
2018-10-04 18.56.56.jpg2018-10-04 18.56.51.jpg2018-10-04 18.56.18.jpg2018-10-04 18.56.07.jpg

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
However, they all have dormant buds already so I am hoping that they will be able to get a fresh start next spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm having this same issue with my Fukien Tea's and my Chinese Sweet Plum, this only started after I put them inside...

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I'm having this same issue with my Fukien Tea's and my Chinese Sweet Plum, this only started after I put them inside...
In your case, it might be their adjustment from being outdoors to indoors. It would help to give them a lot of light, possibly using grow lamps, even temperatures and adequate humidity.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In your case, it might be their adjustment from being outdoors to indoors. It would help to give them a lot of light, possibly using grow lamps, even temperatures and adequate humidity.

That's just it, they are sitting on a boot tray, filled with rocks and water, with 2 grow lights hanging overhead. I don't understand why they are shedding leaves...

Top Bottom