Browning needles (larch)

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So 2-3 days ago, I noticed that my larch was browning. Last week, I had to hand remove some wire because I don't have any wire cutters. I have also sprayed the tree with "Carl's Soap Solution" several times over the last few weeks while trying to deal with a spider mite problem in my growing area. Also, there has been some serious rain storms the last couple weeks. Normally the tree is kept in FULL sun, but I moved it to shade when i noticed the browning. Most of the browning needles are restricted to the ones along the length of the new shoots, but not all. There is no browning of the buds or terminal growth. This is my first full growing season with this tree or any other. What does this situation say to you, and what would be your plan of action. Pics would be included, but it is still raining and dark out.

-Dave

Last edited:

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't really know but I'll take a guess as the symptoms suggest a root problem.
What kind of pot and soil is it in?
Could it be staying water logged and drowning the roots?

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Repotted in March to get it out of a bad situation. It is in a free draining turface/grit/organic mix supplied by a club member. It has been healthy and strong since then.

-Dave

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok soil is good. That kinda leaves the Soap Solution. It may be possible that the soap hurt some of the foliage. If so and the rest of the foliage is not damaged then it should recover. Keep an eye on it and away from the soap. If it doesn't get worse then that may have been the cause.

I use a similar soap solution and haven't had problems on any of my trees but have not used it my larch so I don't really know if it has an adverse affect.
Good luck and hope your larch recovers.
walt r

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Borers maybe

Dave I am assuming you are getting a lot of rain still, after it stops go and look around the base and look for fresh sawdust, if you find it you have borers, if so wrap your tree in a trash bag and fumigate it with RAID, poke some sharp objects into the hole/s as well, the little creeps eat the cambium.

Also when you repotted were the buds tight or about to open/open a little, if they were starting to open they don't like to be repotted at that time. Timing is critical with larch.

When it stops raining put it back in the full sun.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have many Larches and the usual cause of browning foliage is that they were allowed to dry out at one time....larches like it a bit on the wetter side.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could it have been from the manhandling I gave it while removing some of the wire?

-Dave

Attachments

• brown needle1.jpg
    brown needle1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 57
  • brown needle2.jpg
    brown needle2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 71

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have many Larches and the usual cause of browning foliage is that they were allowed to dry out at one time....larches like it a bit on the wetter side.

Will, my girlfriend says, "the wetter the better." Thanks for the tip.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
H A yes it could have been the dewiring. As to the wetter the better, larch are kind of like BC, everyone thinks they need to be grown in water, the larch will grow in high and dry areas as well, although many think of them as only growing in swamps/bogs.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd say this is a root issue. Too much water is probably rotting the cut ends of those pruned roots.

I had similar brown outs when I kept my larch too wet for too long.

The idea that they're (and BC, as Bill mentions) OK to sit in water because "they like swamps and bogs" is wrongheaded and can lead to problems. BC and larch grow in wet areas because THEY CAN, not because they prefer it. Both species obtain their maximum growth potential not on flooded sites (indeed naturally dwarfed larch invariably grow in bogs--which means they're far from "happy") but on seasonally flooded land.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bill and Rock, thanks for taking a shot at diagnosing my problem. I will try to keep the water in check, although this rain for days on end makes it tough. I will also check frequently to see if it worsens. Hopefully it is just from removing the wire.

Can anyone identify the variety of larch I am dealing with?

-Dave

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree has made it, and is putting out a small late season growth push. I think it's safe to say it is "out of the woods"

-Dave

Top Bottom