Browning on Azalea Leaves

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not sure if this is not enough watering or some sort of fungal or other pest issue. I got this thing from Lowe's on sale, so not premier quality azalea, but trying to at least keep it alive. Lol

Anyway, I'm hesitant to repot him because he is in the middle of flowering, but I'm sure the soil he's in is less than ideal.

Any tips?

Attachments

• PXL_20210314_193041922.jpg
    PXL_20210314_193041922.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 22

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmmm...

Normally, one would assume spots originating in the center/away from the edge of the leaf would be fungus or pest... but the actual spots/damage look different.. almost like how my ENTIRE azalea leaves look like when hit with frost... .. so I have NO idea..

But I will bump ya’ back up there.

🤓

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Those could very well be last years leaves seeing that they are at the base of your flower buds. Should start seeing new growth there very soon. If your new foliage develops these spots you may have some minor issues.

Azaleas are very susceptible to fungus and black spot fungus is definitely a thing you are going to get from time to time. Daconil or some similar fungicide that treats black spot will fix that issue easily.

I agree with you, wait till after flower and do a repot. Make sure you dislodge any solid mass near and under the trunk. It will help you in the long run with developing healthy roots. A slightly deeper pot than you would normally pot any other bonsai tree I'd recommend for azaleas, especially being in the south it will help retain a bit more moisture during the hot summer weather and keep the delicate roots cool.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Those could very well be last years leaves seeing that they are at the base of your flower buds. Should start seeing new growth there very soon. If your new foliage develops these spots you may have some minor issues.

Azaleas are very susceptible to fungus and black spot fungus is definitely a thing you are going to get from time to time. Daconil or some similar fungicide that treats black spot will fix that issue easily.

I agree with you, wait till after flower and do a repot. Make sure you dislodge any solid mass near and under the trunk. It will help you in the long run with developing healthy roots. A slightly deeper pot than you would normally pot any other bonsai tree I'd recommend for azaleas, especially being in the south it will help retain a bit more moisture during the hot summer weather and keep the delicate roots cool.
Thank you for your detailed and thorough response. I will try my best with it, I got Neem Oil mostly with this plant in mind.

Direct sun, how many hours would you recommend?

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you for your detailed and thorough response. I will try my best with it, I got Neem Oil mostly with this plant in mind.

Direct sun, how many hours would you recommend?
I have mine getting sun from sun rise to about 3pm then they are in full shade. Azaleas are under canopy plants so they tend to do better in semi shade.

I should point out, I'm kinda lazy, and don't like watering multiple times a day during the summer so I place my trees in a manner that their watering requirements are on the same schedule as my free time allows. They could probably take full sun, but the watering demand will go up. Hope this makes sense.

Jboy2424

Sapling
Reaction score
Not sure if this is not enough watering or some sort of fungal or other pest issue. I got this thing from Lowe's on sale, so not premier quality azalea, but trying to at least keep it alive. Lol

Anyway, I'm hesitant to repot him because he is in the middle of flowering, but I'm sure the soil he's in is less than ideal.

Any tips?
It looks like leaf spot or scorch. However, I've had plants do that if their feet are in water too. I'd check the drainage first. Then, take plant or a leaf to local nursery and see what they have to say.

Top Bottom