Browning on Juniper

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not sure if this should even be of concern, but I noticed some brown spots on some portions of my juniper. I got him from eBay probably 2 weeks ago. I just rather play it safe than sorry and reach out to those who know probably more. I haven't watered him in about 4-5 days, so I did that to possibly help.

He looks like he could use a repot, I'm gonna try and get him a pot and do that this weekend. A lot of his roots are visible from the top soil and he seems like he could use it. I tried to reach out to the seller to get info on how long it's been in the pot it's in, but never got anything back. He's a beautiful tree, definitely want him to succeed.

Attachments

• PXL_20210322_145138230.jpg
    PXL_20210322_145138230.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20210322_145129116.jpg
    PXL_20210322_145129116.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20210322_145120870.jpg
    PXL_20210322_145120870.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 61

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Coming back to this because I've been trying to learn more about better care and possible pests with Junipers. I just want to make sure this isn't phomopsis or something like that.
Attached a few more photos to maybe help ID. Past few days have been pretty rainy so hasn't been getting much sun. Hoping this next week of sunshine helps.

I was hoping to repot him this weekend as it looks like he needs one, but not sure if I should hold off now.

Attachments

• PXL_20210316_181552548.jpg
    PXL_20210316_181552548.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20210316_181544341.jpg
    PXL_20210316_181544341.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 46

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There's not much you'll be able to do if it's phomopsis. (Prevention is key! There's not much curative, when it comes to fungicides for phomopsis.) Those tips will die off and the tree will likely grow out of it with the new tips unaffected. It'll weaken the tree some, but should rebound from this. If I even suspected it needed a repot, I'd certainly do that. (Done properly and in ProperSoil™, at minimum it will help trees recover from similar ailments, and may contribute to their resistance.)

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This looks like its been recently styled, Id suspect that the brown tips you are seeing is from a pair of scissors cutting the pads flat after they wired them. The one branch that appears dried out most likely over worked or was snapped during wiring or shipping.

Would recommend going easy on the repot since the tree has already been through a lot this year it seems. Try not to remove any more roots than you absolutely have to.

If you haven't already started fertilizing it, now would be a good time to look in to that.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There's not much you'll be able to do if it's phomopsis. (Prevention is key! There's not much curative, when it comes to fungicides for phomopsis.) Those tips will die off and the tree will likely grow out of it with the new tips unaffected. It'll weaken the tree some, but should rebound from this. If I even suspected it needed a repot, I'd certainly do that. (Done properly and in ProperSoil™, at minimum it will help trees recover from similar ailments, and may contribute to their resistance.)
Do you suggest I trim these sections? How do I know if it actually is phomopsis?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This looks like its been recently styled, Id suspect that the brown tips you are seeing is from a pair of scissors cutting the pads flat after they wired them. The one branch that appears dried out most likely over worked or was snapped during wiring or shipping.

Would recommend going easy on the repot since the tree has already been through a lot this year it seems. Try not to remove any more roots than you absolutely have to.

If you haven't already started fertilizing it, now would be a good time to look in to that.
Okay thank you! I just got him about 2 weeks ago and the only reason I was wanting to repot was the mix he's in is really sandy and has a lot of roots exposed above the soil. I was planning to move up in pots, so would do minimal work on the roots if I can help it.

Do you think the branch that dried out will make it? Definitely a really nice element to the design.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Okay thank you! I just got him about 2 weeks ago and the only reason I was wanting to repot was the mix he's in is really sandy and has a lot of roots exposed above the soil. I was planning to move up in pots, so would do minimal work on the roots if I can help it.
If you're not going to work the roots, I see no point in repotting. Especially if you don't like the soil.

Top Bottom