Browning Tips on Juniperus Chinensis

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking great
I have to admit, I thought it wasn't going to make it initially.
Hope you find the right pot at the Nationals or do you already have it?
that’s a great question..might just go into a terracotta training pot . I don’t think it’s worthy yet for one of my Nao pots or anything. If you look the reserve side is one big shari .. but this side and front is better… this whole time I didn’t even have the front correctly identified

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is an Alternate photo of it with dark background. It wasn’t wired up at all except for some smaller branches and I reapplied wire to the drop branch yesterday just to reposition a bit
IMG_4044.jpeg
I think a bunjin style pot would suit it well but next spring it will likely just go into a training pot depending how it grows rest of season into fall.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
With a fresh jin before it dries, and another person holding a heat shield protecting close foliage, you can reposition a jin using a lighter. Once the sap gets hot it loosens up and becomes pliable. Hold in place till it cools, and the sap hardens back rigid.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
With a fresh jin before it dries, and another person holding a heat shield protecting close foliage, you can reposition a jin using a lighter. Once the sap gets hot it loosens up and becomes pliable. Hold in place till it cools, and the sap hardens back rigid.
Yeah I gotta take care of that Jin … hmmmm

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah I gotta take care of that Jin … hmmmm
Probably a bit late for fire.
I don't know how long it takes to dry out but would certainly risk catching fire using this method.
Just a thought for future jobs.
Every once in a while it comes in handy. Just have to keep the flame moving back n forth on a low setting (not a torch style lighter), think of marshmallow on a stick trying to heat the insides without burning the outside too much.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Probably a bit late for fire.
I don't know how long it takes to dry out but would certainly risk catching fire using this method.
Just a thought for future jobs.
Every once in a while it comes in handy. Just have to keep the flame moving back n forth on a low setting (not a torch style lighter), think of marshmallow on a stick trying to heat the insides without burning the outside too much.
I used wet paper towels and aluminum foil for Sheila I was able to bend it a bit but that’s it the fibers are in place now so it atleast flows with the tree better..
To think a couple weeks ago I was ready to practically give away to someone before I worked on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 16

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was wrong in this video to not have a heat shield.
I was wrong, to just let go of the branch several times.
You want to heat it a little longer after you feel the heated area give
then hold in place until it cools, letting go of the branch once, then repeat
until you have all the bends where you want them. Sometimes it’s just best
to wire the Jin when it’s fresh. At the end of this video you can see the 2 jins
that were parallel now 90 degrees to each other. It took about 4 minutes on this small one.

Top Bottom