Browning Tips on Juniperus Chinensis

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The rule of one insult per year applies to all conifers, all the time. The key is to keep the trees in a healthy, robust condition and overworking reduces the trees vitality to where they can not recuperate. This is difficult to get a grip on because the tree looks great, but just say no, not now, and stick to it. And get yourself something to mess with while you're waiting on the junies! LoL

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nope it's called sharing. Taking the time to share what has worked for me.
Check that thread out I just updated the 2 projects there.
One thing that I had to change my thinking on when I hooked up here is not to try
to keep my trees show ready all the time. Not that mine are, but not to strive to keep them at their minimum but still healthy.
Have to let them gain. My caps are not to scold, but to bring attention to key points. Not yelling lol :)
But hey if you're f in them up, stop it 😄. Have a great weekend and by all means post pictures here of the other one you're getting.
Often time it's best just to set it in the Sun a year or two and feed it.
Yeah I’m just messing I know it’s all constructive on here . I’ll post that in this threat we can rename it how to get jmmzpsu14 to not kill junipers.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah I’m just messing I know it’s all constructive on here . I’ll post that in this threat we can rename it how to get jmmzpsu14 to not kill junipers.
jmmp14 procumbens.jpg
Have you heard of Colin Lewis and his Bonsai Wiring Essentials free class on Craftsy? I have to say it's pretty awesome
and he reminds me of Sean Connery, mostly the accent.

You have good wire...but some of it is too big to use without damaging the branch.
LOL Adair picks my wire size to death on my JWP, that's constructive, but some will be brutal and discouraging.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The rule of one insult per year applies to all conifers, all the time. The key is to keep the trees in a healthy, robust condition and overworking reduces the trees vitality to where they can not recuperate. This is difficult to get a grip on because the tree looks great, but just say no, not now, and stick to it. And get yourself something to mess with while you're waiting on the junies! LoL

As an example... some of my recently repotted conifers in Anderson flats placed behind one of my benches where they get morning sun and some wind protection. 7 hinoki cypresses, a Japanese cryptomeria, 2 shimpakus, and a large rigida. The only one I pruned was the cryptomeria, and that was only because it was too tall to work on. I spray the foliage several times a day, make sure the soil stays damp but not wet, and when they start showing new growth they will gradually get moved into the sun. I've got plenty of other trees that are queued up for work... but none of these.

nursery.jpg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The juniper in question is stable, I still see green on the tips, but I’m going to be rebuilding what has been lost , I don’t want the trunk to increase but the foliar pads, I’m going to just let the grow for a year or two,then cut back. Again, the mix it’s in is mostly pumice, some akadama and lava rock with some of the original soil left. What I’m going for in the roots to go toward the more aerated parts in the container. So the roots should be good. But alas the foliage is the strength so I’m going to give this sun, and no touchy touchy. I saw plenty of junipers this weekend as I was tasked moving all the pre-bonsai to the grow section of the studio, to make room for the bonsai coming out the greenhouses. A lot were ones seed junipers but I wasn’t too keen on those. The itoigawa was smaller but I’ll keep an eye out for those. To keep the theme attached is the same needle juniper , the trunk is supper burried so it would be cool uncovering it , but this is stringy too.

Attachments

• 4D9E7BF7-F5A2-46EF-B8DC-2BAD683F3F09.jpeg
    4D9E7BF7-F5A2-46EF-B8DC-2BAD683F3F09.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 4EDA90E1-DE10-4003-A1B9-30AC4D7B1F53.jpeg
    4EDA90E1-DE10-4003-A1B9-30AC4D7B1F53.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 68

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
And as god as my witness I better figure these out this year , because we’re collecting Junipers in the Rockies next year. I’ll get plenty of practice this year.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And as god as my witness I better figure these out this year , because we’re collecting Junipers in the Rockies next year. I’ll get plenty of practice this year.
Neither picture attached above in post 26 shows a happy camper, did you buy these?
Wish I was going back to the Rockies, have you been before? Trail Ridge Road is cool.
Took me about 20-30 seconds to open my door against the wind at one lookout without
damaging the camera, or my fingers particularly when getting back in the car.
Got a video of a bull elk walking across the road right in front of our car and a herd right next to the road.

Bruce Elliott

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
... Again, the mix it’s in is mostly pumice, some akadama and lava rock with some of the original soil left. ...
Just checking ... you're fertilizing, too, right? With an inorganic mix that's pretty important.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Update the tree seems to be doing well with the exception of one pad, but overall might not even need it in the end. Still just letting it grow.

Attachments

• 11B82DF4-51E1-49FB-A8C1-EC7BFF34754B.jpeg
    11B82DF4-51E1-49FB-A8C1-EC7BFF34754B.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 55

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well that was the last hopefully of the dying branches. The rest are growing fine.
still puzzled on what I want to do in future. Till then I’m setting and forgetting

Attachments

• 94CB5B89-4B04-46B2-93B7-D063A3CF7E0C.jpeg
    94CB5B89-4B04-46B2-93B7-D063A3CF7E0C.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 55

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok so after no touchy .. I decided to go back and re-wire what was left and raffia.
In garage to stay out of cold… took I branch off.. foliage was v healthy .. I’m trying to shari the whole front curve of it.. sealed off edges. Best I can do w this crap.. nursery junipers are fun to test on to cause it’s little loss. Hoping it survives this work .. wiring has had a big improvement imo … next year maybe wire and work on pads.

Attachments

• F647A5BF-2D06-405E-B831-0AC24AF183D2.jpeg
    F647A5BF-2D06-405E-B831-0AC24AF183D2.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 48

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
7A5F1D5B-9302-4A12-8A0A-50AFFFB2A0F3.jpeg
Imo my wiring has improved ten fold since I first started this tree.. I used proper technique and it looks as good as this material can.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
51A2A285-3C38-44FD-84C7-10130DFCEEA6.jpeg
It’s starting to grow on me a bit .. it may be a shitty juniper but it’s my shitty juniper . I’m just letting it grow in its new position… we’ll see how it evolves.. that Shari down the trunk I want to grind it down and smooth out eventually.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Maybe it’s me but just need to adjust the pads and branches but I think this is turning out ok.. thoughts ? I really f@clef this up when I first got it but I think the tree has forgiven me lol
IMG_4013.jpeg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s a hell of a turn around. I didn’t realize they were the same tree til now

Top Bottom