BRT advice

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forums and first post! I've had a BRT for about a year now and it was all going well until I decided to do a root prune and repot about 2 months ago. I fear I may have pruned a little too aggressive. First all the leaves went brown and started falling off. After that I noticed the tips of the branches starting browning. Not long after all of the branches have gone brown. I had just about given up hope and thought I killed the tree. Now after 2 months and some nice summer weather in Florida. I have some life coming back close to the base of the tree. I'm lost as to where I go from here? Will all those dead branches come back? Do I need to cut all of them back to the trunk? And regrow all of them? I will attach a picture so you all can see exactly what I am talking about. Thank you all so much in advance for your help!IMG_0331.JPG

makarovnik

Mame
Reaction score
Most likely it died back to where the new growth is.

Look at it as a blessing in disguise, there was not much taper to begin with. Chop it and choose a new lead.

I don't know if it works for BRT but you can make something out of nothing with the deadwood on top.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am sorry to tell you that all of the branches that have turned brown are dead in the section that is brown.
BRT branches will die back to a new node when pruned. Two months is a long time for it to be without leaves.
The portion of the branches that have not turned brown still have some hope of getting new leaves.

Another problem I see is that you seem to have put it into potting soil. BRT like water and like to be moist but that soil is very easy to overwater and stay wet too long.
That will cause root rot. However with the weakened state of the tree, Im not sure repotting again now would be a good idea. On the other hand, if the soil is staying too wet, that might finish the tree off as well.

My advice at this point is to leave it out in the sun, and water only it when it needs it. That means do not water on a set schedule and water when the soil is almost dry. Do not let it become completely dry.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! Makarovnik, when you say chop it, you mean cut right above the new growth?

If I chose not to chop it and see if I can get some new growth up towards the top would you recommend cutting off the dead branches at this point?

Paradox, yes it is in regular potting soil :/. I haven't been watering it every day though. I have that chopstick in there and only water when that chopstick gets very close to drying out. It is however a little wetter than I normally keep it right now due to some rain we've had here the past couple of days. I will be sure to pull it undercover if we get any more rain so it doesn't get any wetter.

Should I give it some fertilizer to help push that new growth?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No do not fertilize it right now. Wait until you see more growth.
I would leave the branches for now. They wont hurt anything.

makarovnik

Mame
Reaction score
I would wait to see if you get any new growth. If its alive at the top I would air layer it. That way you can start creating taper and then you have another to play with.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would leave the branches for now. They wont hurt anything

Matt...provided you don't lean in looking at that new growth and poke out your eye.....

I agree.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The good news is it's not dead and you'll have a fat base.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would wait to see if you get any new growth. If its alive at the top I would air layer it. That way you can start creating taper and then you have another to play with.
You can't airlayer a trunk/branch when there is no growth above it. That's how they are fed, by new growth above the layer.

Aaron

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You can't airlayer a trunk/branch when there is no growth above it. That's how they are fed, by new growth above the layer.
Of course!
There need to be foliage above the layer and below it as well.
Growth above the airlayer is feeding only this section i.e. the airlayered part of the tree. Because the circulation of sap has been stopped at the point where the bark has been peeled off.
As long as there is foliage on the trunk/branches below the airlayer, the tree can safely go on growing. If there is not, then chances are that the tree will be damaged.
So, you need foliage above for the airlayer itself and foliage below for the tree itself.
This is a useful video which @Cattwooduk has provided me some time before regarding my airlayering a J. acer
You might also read through my above thread https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/unidentified-j-maple.26454/

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The good news is it's not dead and you'll have a fat base.

Amen!

This totally went from a 4 as a finished tree.
To a 8 or 9 as a prebonsai!

I'll take the latter any day!

@Matt Zedler ...
When the time comes to cut that old trunk off.....
It's gonna be a PITA...
Hard to get a tool in to cut it.
Might be a lot of small grinding...

Whatever it is...
Take your time...
Do it right!

This can be a great tree!

Sorce

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you're weary about doing a chop because you think it might still have some life on top, just cut a few branches and see if they're green or brown inside. You could work your way down the tree to a point where you see signs of life

Top Bottom