Bezalel Nebari

Sapling
Reaction score
I started this air layer on my BRT about a month ago. First I hard chopped everything below it, which caused the top part that I am layering to explode in new growth. After about 2 weeks, the leaves above the layering point closed and never opened again, and there hasn't been any new growth up there since then. It hasn't dropped any leaves and there hasn't been any dieback. Any advice?

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 1.51.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-19 at 1.51.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-19 at 1.51.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-19 at 1.52.09 PM.png

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I don‘t own a BRT but good horticulture suggests: is it getting enough light because the leaves close at night and some stress may be happening because of the bark cut away for the layer.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
It will probably be okay. This is a stress reaction, from putting the air layer in place. As soon as roots start forming, the leaves should start opening. Do keep the media in the layer moist. And do make sure you give the tree as much light as you were giving it before you put the air layer in place. In shade, roots will not form as quickly.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
And do make sure you give the tree as much light as you were giving it before you put the air layer in place. In shade, roots will not form as quickly.

@Leo in N E Illinois I agree with the above, but I'd like do suggest that "as much light as before" doesn't necessarily mean full sun all day in the summer. They need plenty of light alright, but even more than that, they need humidity. High humidity. "Rain tree".
As a bonsai, they can get fried in the Brazilian summer if left in the sun all day, but yes, their roots benefit from warmth. Fast growers in hot weather.

Bezalel Nebari

Sapling
Reaction score
I don‘t own a BRT but good horticulture suggests: is it getting enough light because the leaves close at night and some stress may be happening because of the bark cut away for the layer.
It's getting enough light that everything below the air layer is growing strong. Only the leaves above the air layer have gone dormant. I could try to get it more light tho. Thank you.

Top Bottom