BRT Babies sourced from @Leatherback

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, as @leatherback has so very kindly spread some of his BRT cuttings across Europ I thought both he and their new homes might appreciate a combined thread so that we can all see how the li’l tree siblings are doing. Interesting @leatherback ‘s BRT’s originated from @Clicio .

This is mine, @leatherback so kindly sent it to me in May 2021. Right now it’s kinda stalled a bit but I am expecting some mad growth this summer as it will be its first summer with its feet firmly planted.

8AFAA75E-1B43-4902-91BF-45B78833CAC9.jpeg

@BalconyBonsai and @ibakey i know you have one too 😉

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
From the same batch of seeds as the ones sent to @leatherback , mine are growing very happy.
I guess better then the ones in Europe, but this is of course natural.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess better then the ones in Europe, but this is of course natural.
I *think* I only sent out cuttings so far, but I could be mistaken. For sure, the biggest and baddest is still in my windowsill!

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello guys, yes! May the cuttings of leatherback BRT flourish throughout the EU.

Here are a series of images of the Brazilian raintree cutting I received from @leatherback.
I got the cuttings in late June 2021 I think. It grows very rapidly.
I had to cut it back 2-3 times since.

It is currently indoors for the winter but I took a picture of it outside on the balcony in the last image.
I just checked the roots from the bottom of the pot and roots are poking out and I see a lot of white from the bottom.
I am super tempted to repot it soon. Is it advisable to repot it now, at the avant of spring? I understand tropicals are usually to be repotted in the mid summer in July.

Thinking of repotting into a slightly larger pot seeing how vigorous the roots are.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-02-14 at 1.57.39 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-14 at 1.57.39 PM.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 71
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-02-14 at 1.57.40 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-14 at 1.57.40 PM (1).jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 47
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-02-14 at 1.57.40 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-14 at 1.57.40 PM.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 46
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-02-14 at 1.57.41 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-14 at 1.57.41 PM.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 45
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-02-14 at 1.59.47 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-14 at 1.59.47 PM.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 65

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Congrats, looking great!
I guess @leatherback is more prepared to answer your question, as here in Brazil they can be repotted all year round, excepting the coldest days in winter.

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an update on the BRT, just brought him in with the temperatures outside dropping below 10 degrees. Pretty good season for him, grown a lot with about 2 prunings.

I also took some cuttings in the summer where only about 3 out of 8 cuttings survived..

Do you guys ever defoliate the BRTs?

Attachments

• IMG_8811.JPG
    IMG_8811.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8812.JPG
    IMG_8812.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 47

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
how you keep your tropicals inside and how you keep them going strong in the winter
I just put them behind a window on the heating. Nothing more nothing less. So .. Thats a VERY short short!

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just put them behind a window on the heating. Nothing more nothing less. So .. Thats a VERY short short!
Do you still have heating this winter? I haven’t switched mine on…yet 😉

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Jelle, hope its going well for mapleminx too.
I have been enjoying your videos on youtube btw jelle, keep them coming!
Maybe you should do a video on how you keep your tropicals inside and how you keep them going strong in the winter!
He’s doing ok. Sorry the picture quality and lighting are not great so early in the morning. Wakey wakey BRT, i should probably have trimmed it but well…let it grow let it grooowwwww.
8EA9795F-4555-4D63-840B-C4BE0B74911D.png

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He’s doing ok. Sorry the picture quality and lighting are not great so early in the morning. Wakey wakey BRT, i should probably have trimmed it but well…let it grow let it grooowwwww.
View attachment 462280
Nice!! I see you are envisioning a larger BRT for your pot! haha.
Mine grew like crazy during the summer, had to prune it for cuttings which only 1 took.

So far it is still warm, so no need for heaters just yet. In fact, some of my tropicals are still outside!
Indeed!! I figured okay its time that the cold is here and it will gradually go below 10 degrees. But no, this week went back up to the teens. weird weather this year.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!! I see you are envisioning a larger BRT for your pot! haha.
Mine grew like crazy during the summer, had to prune it for cuttings which only 1 took.
Actually the reason for the wide mildly shallow pot is root development. He will sit in this pot for some years. I didn’t want to wooden crate it because being a tropical i’d be tracking in all sorts of insects living in the wood when it comes in for winter. So this is my “less spidery” workaround for those not outside/in a shed all winter.

BalconyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
@Mapleminx , sorry for not replying sooner but did not see the mention as I am not checking the forum as often as I used to do. Yes, I also have a cutting courtesy of mr @leatherback . It seems to be doing well and has thickened quite a lot I feel since I received it. That one didn't have the best start as it was laying in the post office for two weeks since I didn't receive any notification that it has arrived. It was completely bare and I was sure it was dead but diligent watering eventually made buds appear.
20210123_073949.jpg

This is what the tree looks like today, still pushing out new growth in the middle of winter.
20221226_132543.jpg

Now even this Leatherback-BRT-baby has kids of it's own as I have been successful in growing some cuttings. Two now seem to be "established" and have grown by themselves for maybe a year.

20221226_132422.jpg

20221226_132437.jpg

I also have this other batch that are growing/putting out new leaves but they still feel too small to move into individual pots. They are probably around 6 months old and they are alive still so I think at least some of them should survive.

20221226_132311.jpg

It is an insurance so that I am not so scared that one would die. For anyone not from Europe, it is from what I have seen, impossible to buy this species(I have not found seeds available either) in Europe so it feels very special to be able to have and care for one(or three).

Lovely and pretty trees and many thanks for your generosity Jelle!

Top Bottom