BRT Fungus? Or not really?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Should I be concerned with this or not really? I was considering scraping it all off and wiping the tree down with some neem oil.....

20210211_204215.jpg

I was also considering doing nothing and just letting it stay there until I move the tree outside for the summer.

Any suggestions, thoughts, comments are welcomed.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Neem oil doesn't get rid of fungus. It's meant to treat against bugs, which can spread fungal infections. The mode of action is double, but this lead to the myth that neem oil acts as an antifungal material.

What's the problem here? The off white gooey looking stuff or the white freckles which seem to be primordial roots emerging from the trunk.
The gooey stuff looks like some kind of biofilm or bark. I don't expect it to be fungal because fungi are rarely transparent and rarely living out in the open like that. Could be some epidermal/bark layer that's shedding. Is it actually gooey, is it dry? Does it fall apart in flakes, or does it act like a shell of some sort?
I've seen a fair share of parafilm accidents, could it be that someone left a patch of that stuff on the trunk?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry for not being more specific guys. Here I've broken a newer picture down.... the post is in question to the purple circled area. Should I use vinegar since it sounds like neem oil won't work? What are they??? Should I be alarmed??

Screenshot_20210212-160914_Gallery.jpg

Look at the green spot the yellow arrow points to and you can see where I scratched a little off. I won't scratch it off if it's not harmful.

And lastly, the red area of goop lolololololol When planting this seedling I split it. In order for it to heal, I smashed the split together, wrapped it with vet wrap, and then kinda "sealed" it using Vaseline as a way to prevent moisture from penetrating.

@Wires_Guy_wires bro do you think the Vaseline and the wound, the tree is trying to shoot roots like an air layer?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
far out man...wait couple days and see if those weird "dots" on the green shoot turn into roots?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Wires_Guy_wires bro do you think the Vaseline and the wound, the tree is trying to shoot roots like an air layer?
What happens when you put vaseline on chaffed skin? Apart from making a geasy mess, it helps the skin retain moisture by forming a film. High humidity can be a cause of aerial roots too, but I think a small layer of vaseline on a breathing trunk (and thus a trunk producing water vapor) can potentially have the same effect. Never seen it happen though! But it makes sense.
Looks like it is rooting from the trunk.

Some plants produce these bumps regularly and those bumps are just callous tissue that happens to form when their bark is expanding slower than the inside and tears open, simple self-inflicted-wound healing, others - mainly tropical plants - make those white bumps like pines make dormant buds; if the need arises or conditions are right, they root from those pimples.

To me this seems nothing to worry about. You can rub them off if you think they're ugly.

Top Bottom