BRT Leaves Drooping after repot

maxdate

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum ever, I have had this Brazillian Rain Tree for about 5 months I bought it as pre bonsai at a local nursery, it looked half dead when I bought it but grew back vigorously after a few weeks. I recently repotted the tree into an actual bonsai pot since it was out growing the plastic flower pot it came in. Two days after the transplant I noticed the leaves would be open in the morning but then close and droop when I would get home from work. The soil stays moist but not soaked and its in full sun. What should I do? Should I be worried?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Welcome! Please add your location to your profile, so we know where you are in the world to receive the best advice. Repotting tropicals is typically done in the summer, when they are growing vigorously. Do the leaves still open in the morning? It is typical for them to close their leaves at night, even under lights they seem to know when the sun has gone down. Any pictures?

maxdate

Seedling
Reaction score
Ahhhhh, I was not aware of that I always read that they could be repotted whenever but dually noted. This morning the leaflets were all open and firm like normal but when I came back from work they were all closed and drooping like it was night time. Ill take some pics of it right now for you to see.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I imagine if you cut any roots off it is just going to sulk for a little bit. In Michigan how are you able to have it in full sun at this time of year? If you are keeping this inside you may want to give it some boost from just window light, as in a lighting fixture. Also I find that the seedling heat mats can help with recovery.

maxdate

Seedling
Reaction score
I only removed a small amount of roots that were comming out the bottom of the flower pot, it originally was on a stand but when I re potted it it became too heavy to be on it. It was half bare when I bought it I keep it in a south facing window and it has seemed to do fine till this point so maybe it was just from being at ground level. And probably will invest in a light. Let me see if I have pics of when I got it and before repot.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard!

Good-luck with your tree! Hopefully it will pull out of the Doldrums and spring up!

cheers
DSD sends

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would say it is compaining about the repot. I had a pot with 2 cuttings from fall. They were really pushing and last weekend I decided to split them into two pots so I can make 2 persons happy with a cutting. They are now refusing to open their leaves. I am finding BRTs just do not like any disturbance and will sulk after. I do not even worry anymore when they decide to drop all leaves if I have changed something in their surroundings.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would say it is compaining about the repot. I had a pot with 2 cuttings from fall. They were really pushing and last weekend I decided to split them into two pots so I can make 2 persons happy with a cutting. They are now refusing to open their leaves. I am finding BRTs just do not like any disturbance and will sulk after. I do not even worry anymore when they decide to drop all leaves if I have changed something in their surroundings.
it must be the firey Latino in them! Of my 2 surviving Ironwoods the stunted little dwarf is happy as could be but his big friend in the same pot is STILL protesting over the cat attack and didn’t even want to open its leaves for the sunshine yesterday.

What interesting characters these trees have. So when my BRT from you is here...I can expect some serious leafy sulking after postage 😂😂😂😂.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The one with your name on it is much perkier than the one I was going to keep a little..
Aww ❤️.

Have you seen next weeks weather forecast? Snow..like seriously..freakin snow?! After it’s been so beautifully warm here we go for another cold snap 🥶🤦‍♀️.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you seen next weeks weather forecast? Snow..like seriously..freakin snow?! After it’s been so beautifully warm here we go for another cold snap 🥶🤦‍♀️.
not gonna happen.
famous last words.
Not gonna happen.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sound like it's doing what it's supposed to do!

Sorce

maxdate

Seedling
Reaction score
I’ve read they are super temperamental if you move them and all that, I’ll just continue to water it like normal and it should be fine then. I just got worried because I really like the tree 😂.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My leaves on my BRT has been acting up too. half of them close during night time and half stay open, very temper-mental

maxdate

Seedling
Reaction score
My leaves on my BRT has been acting up too. half of them close during night time and half stay open, very temper-mental
That’s wild ive never seen that before, mine closes up around sunset and usually opens back up at sunrise unless it needs water.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That’s wild ive never seen that before, mine closes up around sunset and usually opens back up at sunrise unless it needs water.
mine did that too when I got it, as it should. but recently had to spray down with neem oil and move it because of a potential pest problem. so its being dramatic right now 🤷‍♂️

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I do not even worry anymore when they decide to drop all leaves if I have changed something in their surroundings.
I have one that wilted then dropped all of it's leaves and has just been sitting there like a stick. I think it might have gotten a little soggy. I let it dry out some, then watered with some peroxide in the water. Just noticed last night some happy little leaves showing up. They do seem to get in a tizzy over nothing sometimes.

maxdate

Seedling
Reaction score
Update, left the radiator near where I keep my tropicals on for 2 days to give the floor more heat and this guy decided he wasn’t mad anymore.

Attachments

• A0D055BD-D69C-4FB7-A74D-83F37D392FC7.jpeg
    A0D055BD-D69C-4FB7-A74D-83F37D392FC7.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DEFF5FA6-5D1C-4A62-9759-B7833B7EEEF3.jpeg
    DEFF5FA6-5D1C-4A62-9759-B7833B7EEEF3.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom