BRT leaves lost pigment over night

Newbonsai13

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m not exactly sure why, but my BRT’s leaves lost a lot of their green color from the time i went to bed, to the time i woke up this morning. Nothing feels overly dry so i am not sure what is happening! If anyone knows the cause or if this is problematic, please let me know!image.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Any transition period to acclimate itself to full sun exposure?
This was my first thought.. It being “transition SEASON” up in these parts (and others, I’m aware ;) )... I’ve been PUSHING “sunburn awareness”, if you will, HARD.

I suffered GREATLY last season from this oversight.

Buuuuut...
, you might want to check for spider mites.
...is NEVER bad advice.

🤓

Newbonsai13

Seedling
Reaction score
Any transition period to acclimate itself to full sun exposure?
Ive been letting it get morning and evening sun while trying to keep it in the shade during the high sun hours. Is there another way to go about this? Also how long does the transition normally take?

Newbonsai13

Seedling
Reaction score
This was my first thought.. It being “transition SEASON” up in these parts (and others, I’m aware ;) )... I’ve been PUSHING “sunburn awareness”, if you will, HARD.

I suffered GREATLY last season from this oversight.

Buuuuut...

...is NEVER bad advice.

🤓
I’m thinking this is most likely the issue, thank you! I think i got to it in time, only the top foliage seem to be damaged so hopefully ill be in the clear in a couple of weeks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd work a full defoil into the transition plan.

Going out for sure. Coming in if you have good lighting.

This way there is no "pussyfooting" it around.

Sorce

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine has also done this here in Canada. Its been out for 2 days now, I also have it in shade and it only gets direct evening sun. I think its just a little bit of shock.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd work a full defoil into the transition plan.

Going out for sure. Coming in if you have good lighting.

This way there is no "pussyfooting" it around.

Sorce
Full defoliation happens by itself if you just sunburn them enough. Better to use that time to yield some extra sugars than to cut the foliage off, if you'd ask me.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Full defoliation happens by itself if you just sunburn them enough. Better to use that time to yield some extra sugars than to cut the foliage off, if you'd ask me.

Besides the unknown stress effects, I don't believe they are active, healthily enough, to provide anything, then you're waiting for it to recover, if the stress even allows it to.

I would invite anyone to test it for themselves, since the results should be quite clear.

The benefits of NOT bringing mites upon going back in is enough for me to not even consider not defoiloating.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The stress effects of sunburn are known. I've done this a couple dozen times myself when putting plants outdoors, otherwise I wouldn't advise it.

Defoliating when bringing them back inside might be a good call. But if it's such a hassle and such a strain on the health of a plant, I don't get why one would put it outdoors in the first place. The benefits seem meager to me if there are two defoliations a year. I stopped doing that five-step a decade ago and instead focused on better indoor conditions.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
All my trops went out yesterday, on the east side of the house in the shade. I'll give them a week there before moving them to their summer home.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive been letting it get morning and evening sun while trying to keep it in the shade during the high sun hours. Is there another way to go about this? Also how long does the transition normally take?
@LemonBonsai

What are the temperature ranges where you guys are now? You guys are in Michigan and Canada respectively.
It might be a tad cold there for a BRT at night right now......

I am hundreds of miles south of you and I am just starting to think about putting my BRT outside because the night temps have finally started to be warm enough consistently

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@LemonBonsai

What are the temperature ranges where you guys are now? You guys are in Michigan and Canada respectively.
It might be a tad cold there for a BRT at night right now......

I am hundreds of miles south of you and I am just starting to think about putting my BRT outside because the night temps have finally started to be warm enough consistently
not dropping below 8 C or 46.4 F night temps

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Honestly, I don't bother. Indoor leaves way less efficient when they are brought outdoors. If you have some leaves that close but some don't, you know that the leaves that don't "reflex" are past their prime and produce less energy. The tree won't drop them as they are still "active" but if there are buds at the base of a leaf, it's time to defoliate.

Top Bottom