BRT outside on a farm?

Reaction score
I’ve recently bought a Brazilian rain tree and have been wanting to put it outside for the summer but mother says I should keep it inside because of the delicate leaves. She puts her hibiscus outside in the summer and every fall when she brings it back in it has spider mites on it. I live on a farm in the Ottawa area so there are lots of bugs flying around. Should it stay inside? What pesticide should I use in the fall if it does get bugs on it? I heard most burn the leaves

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi and welcome! You should keep this tree outside in the summer, it’s an easy tree, pretty pest and disease free. hibiscus are prone to insect issues, so you probably won’t see this with your brt. Put it in morning sun for starters, of course after the weather warms enough, then move it into full sun,keep it moist. If it gets very hot in your area, it may want some part shade during the hottest part of the day.

Reaction score
Perfect thank you! Currently in a south window getting sun from 530Am-11am ish. Currently still brisk in the morning. Just got a shot of snow earlier today... won’t go out for a while not very often the days go above 90f in the sumer

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For the winter you probably will need additional lighting. I managed to nurse mine through indoors without lights but it was sitting next to a patio door and I am several hundred miles south of you. The tree didn’t grow at all during the winter and then this spring began to shed old leaves as the days grew longwr. Finally I put it outside each day once temps hit 50 F and it has completely replaced all the old leaves and grown new branches at the axil of each old leaf. It has basically doubled in size in the last month! I bring it in each night if the temps are projected to go below 45 F. Once it gets real warm, about late June or early July, I plan a repot.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The same pesticides your mother uses to clean the pests off her Hibiscus will work fine for treating your BRT in autumn.

BRT is an excellent indoors for winter, and outdoors for summer tree.

BRT can shed leaves several times a year. They can even "go dormant" and be leafless for a period of time. Usually with good light and consistent water, they will be in leaf year round. But do not panic if it drops leaves when put outside, it will quickly grow a new set of leaves, and same for when it is brought indoors.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What happens when you cross a brazilian wax with a brazilian wet wood?

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
What happens when you cross a brazilian wax with a brazilian wet wood?

Sorce
🤦‍♀️Apparently, everyone is pretty bored today, lol.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve recently bought a Brazilian rain tree and have been wanting to put it outside for the summer but mother says I should keep it inside because of the delicate leaves. She puts her hibiscus outside in the summer and every fall when she brings it back in it has spider mites on it. I live on a farm in the Ottawa area so there are lots of bugs flying around. Should it stay inside? What pesticide should I use in the fall if it does get bugs on it? I heard most burn the leaves

Yes you can defnitely move it outside during the summer.
Right now is too early though, its still too cold even here where I am.
I usually dont move mine out here until mid June.

Top Bottom