Mike Hart

Seedling
Reaction score
I just bought this brush cherry from a local nursery. I repotted it 2 days ago with a basic bonsai soil and some basic bonsail fertilizer pellets since the soil it was in retained waaaay too much water and was definitely going to drown it. I like in nebraska and it gets hot and muggy so I leave it outside during the day in partial shade (2 hours of direct sun, 5-6 hours of shade) then bring it in during the night. I have been watering it whenever I notice the top inch or so of soil is dry. I guess I am just looking for any advice, should I trim it, more or less sun, watering, anything would help. Thanks!20160611_122801.jpg 20160611_122807.jpg

Attachments

• 20160611_122755.jpg
    20160611_122755.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 2

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Braska a?

Nice!

If let it grow lessin you're happy with the skinny trunk.

A learning we will go!

Don't bother bringing it in at night...
It's not a woman!

Sorce

Mike Hart

Seedling
Reaction score
Why a rectangular pot? I repotted it 2 days ago, would changing the pot now over stress it? Or should I wait until next spring? I've been reading that this is a pretty forgiving tree.
Any other suggestions? This is my first attempt at this so anything would be very appreciated!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Mike Hart
That was just a joke...
Cuz I said it's not a woman...
And masculine trees go in rectangle pots!

Rounded corners make them a bit fem, if you have a bi tree, with both feminine and masculine characteristics.

Next spring....I would drill holes in that "humidity tray" and plant it in there...

You could Probly ditch the humidity tray too....
They just sell those to up IPT, items per ticket, but they are mostly useless, ceptin fer to keep your table clean.

Sorce

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Mike Hart
That was just a joke...
Cuz I said it's not a woman...
And masculine trees go in rectangle pots!

Rounded corners make them a bit fem, if you have a bi tree, with both feminine and masculine characteristics.

Next spring....I would drill holes in that "humidity tray" and plant it in there...

You could Probly ditch the humidity tray too....
They just sell those to up IPT, items per ticket, but they are mostly useless, ceptin fer to keep your table clean.

Sorce

Yes it was a sorry attempt at funny.

I don't know how Nebraska winters are, but if it gets really darn cold you need to think of how to overwinter that brush cherry.

I had mine under lights then the following spring I killed it by too many bold moves.

Let yours grow. At least a couple of seasons in a bigger pot to thicken it up. If you really want to cut something trim back new growth to two sets of leaves, but honesty, let it grow and go get yourself another 1-100 trees to keep you occupied while this one grows.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quit the "bring it in at night" crap. Leave it outside all summer, preferably where it gets a few hours of morning sun. Bringing inside at night will probably weaken it, as it is having to constantly adjust to air conditioning indoors and outside conditions.

Ditch the humidity tray. It's trouble asking to happen (mold, rotted roots). There is enough humidity in the air outside for the tree

This is NOT a cherry species. It is an Australian native species that live in tropical rainforests. Look up "lilly pilly" or "Syzygium australe"

It CAN'T STAY OUTSIDE in the winter. It should be brought in before the first frost in the fall.

Top Bottom