Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chinese pots are good, great or iffy. Depends on where they came from. I've had terrific Chinese pots, some that appeared to be terrific until I actually used them, and some really bad crap.

These look like typical Yixing. They ain't the greatest, but they're better than most and at $45 they're OK.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
They look like standard production Chinese pots. Prices seem high, although I have not priced them recently. I used to sell a lot of them.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I've bought over 30 pots from this seller
http://stores.ebay.com/ORIENTAL-ART...54619012&_sid=292502672&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

they are Zisha pot. Cheat when you get them by auction ($10-$20), he combines shipping on 2-3 pots too. They are very good quality as well. I'd give them a try if you're looking for chinese pots. Brussel's pots look overpriced to me.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've bought over 30 pots from this seller
http://stores.ebay.com/ORIENTAL-ART...54619012&_sid=292502672&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

they are Zisha pot. Cheat when you get them by auction ($10-$20), he combines shipping on 2-3 pots too. They are very good quality as well. I'd give them a try if you're looking for chinese pots. Brussel's pots look overpriced to me.

I've been checking their listings for a while now but the design of their pots are different. Not as appealing to me than the ones I bought. The pots also look different quality wise (visually).

Thanks!

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased the third one as well. Really hard to find pots with cloud feet on the Internet. I have also never seen this pot design before. I had to have it. I have a big jbp going into it next spring.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really hard to find pots with cloud feet on the Internet. I have also never seen this pot design before.

I say the same to all of them actually. There are similar ones but not the same. I did see the higher end antique counter parts (pics) and they are awesome...but I cannot afford those even IF I find one.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I can find cloud feet. Cannot afford cloud feet. That's why I think this large pot is a good price

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am sold with the visual aspect (design and finish)...just wondering about the clay quality and temperature it was fired.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe when we get our pots we can research the stamp.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe he can stoop down to our level of pots and help us out. :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ask and you shall recieve. You guys make me out to be a snob, or something(true). But not so much about age of pots, but quality. If you read the blog, there's a whole lot of potters up there I feature often doing modern work, Bushuan and Shunka Shozan, just to name a couple.
So here's what I can tell you. These are much better pots than the other eBay seller mentioned, but they're by no means "Handmade". I have a couple of them.
Clay is of average quality, as is workmanship. They're Yixing, from a middle of the road kiln, whose work is produced either for sale inside China or for export to the west, they're not the one of the 10 or 12 super nice quality kilns that have producing pots for Japanese nurseries, such as KoShunOhSei and YoMeiKoChi(who produce pots under contract to Kinbon), whose work surpasses production grade Tokoname hands down. I know this to be true, because Ive looked at well over 200,000 pots for sale in Japan in the last year, and Id never seen the stamp until a friend gave me one in trade a couple of weeks ago. All that being said, they're certainly better than "kent" pots on eBay, which are pretty low quality Yixing. To my eye, these are press molded, while the others on eBay are most definitely slip cast. I will say this. They're ridiculously overpriced. If anyone is interested in getting higher quality Chinese pots, give me a buzz through the website. Even with shipping, if you buy 5 of them, it would end up costing the same price as these, for higher quality. I use the really high end Chinese pots for trees not slated for show anytime soon all the time, and there's a big difference.
Ryan(pot snob deigning to mingle with you riffraff)
Http://JapaneseBonsaiPots.net

Last edited:

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I purchased the third one as well. Really hard to find pots with cloud feet on the Internet. I have also never seen this pot design before. I had to have it. I have a big jbp going into it next spring.

Kind of a fancy, feminine pot for a typical JBP, I'm interested in seeing what your tree looks like that you are putting in this pot

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ask and you shall recieve. You guys make me out to be a snob, or something(true). But not so much about age of pots, but quality. If you read the blog, there's a whole lot of potters up there I feature often doing modern work, Bushuan and Shunka Shozan, just to name a couple.
So here's what I can tell you. These are much better pots than the other eBay seller mentioned, but they're by no means "Handmade". I have a couple of them.
Clay is of average quality, as is workmanship. They're Yixing, from a middle of the road kiln, whose work is produced either for sale inside China or for export to the west, they're not the one of the 10 or 12 super nice quality kilns that have producing pots for Japanese nurseries, such as KoShunOhSei and YoMeiKoChi(who produce pots under contract to Kinbon), whose work surpasses production grade Tokoname hands down. I know this to be true, because Ive looked at well over 200,000 pots for sale in Japan in the last year, and Id never seen the stamp until a friend gave me one in trade a couple of weeks ago. All that being said, they're certainly better than "kent" pots on eBay, which are pretty low quality Yixing. To my eye, these are press molded, while the others on eBay are most definitely slip cast. I will say this. They're ridiculously overpriced. If anyone is interested in getting higher quality Chinese pots, give me a buzz through the website. Even with shipping, if you buy 5 of them, it would end up costing the same price as these, for higher quality. I use the really high end Chinese pots for trees not slated for show anytime soon all the time, and there's a big difference.
Ryan(pot snob deigning to mingle with you riffraff)
Http://JapaneseBonsaiPots.net

Ryan,

It is me who kinda alluded to that and I apologize. I am interested and would like to see what you can get. I am interested on 12" and 14" rectangular pots...more somewhat similar in style as the ones I posted. If you can help...it will be much appreciated (and yes, I will contact you through your site as well).

Thank you.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a feeling that the Gnomes going to be hearing from more than a few of us....
Nice of you to offer, Ryan.:)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have a feeling that the Gnomes going to be hearing from more than a few of us....
Nice of you to offer, Ryan.:)

Ryan's helped me into a few of my new favorite pots...good guy, no matter what he says.:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 31
Top Bottom