Brussel's Sharps Pygmy Progression

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Been struggling with this tree for a long while and never documented anything, so doing so now to keep everything organized.

Purchased from Brussel's in Spring 2017. It had really heavy branches up high and the low branches were thin and weak. I'd never had a maple at that point, so it took a while (too long, really) to get started on rebuilding branches.

As received in April 2017 (guy wires... yes, ridiculous, I know)

Pygmy April 2017.JPG

Grew pretty vigorously that year. March 2018 revealed the long path ahead

Pygmy March 2018.JPG

After a few weeks of consideration, I got started on the re-build:

Pygmy April 2018.JPG

It's been taking a long time, but the tree is slowly developing. And it's always been healthy, thankfully. June 2020:

Pygmy June 2020.JPG

And who doesn't love Irish moss?!?

Still working on branch and apex development... and a long road ahead, still. New Shuho oval. Too showy, but needed something shallow to keep forcing lateral growth of roots. Continuing to chase lower branches back to finer growth to help develop more taper. April 2022:

Pygmy April 2022.jpg

And today, healthy and vigorous and in need of partial defoliation to keep interior finer growth alive. May 2022:

Pygmy May 2022.jpg

Sharp's have been so much more challenging when it comes to managing flushes. They're just so dense with soooooo many buds at at every single junction, which leads to rapid swelling and "knuckles." But it does seem (to me) to be getting a little better each year.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like how the rebuild is coming. The lower branches are thickening nicely.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just checked the Brussel's site to look at what they're offering for Sharp's Pygmy maples these days.... YIKES!

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Although not apparent from the pictures, the branching continues to develop.

I also think I will repot into the yellow Horst Heinzlreiter oval in 2024. Photo is totally out of proportion, given that the pot is simply placed in front of the tree, but mostly showing for color contrast on fall foliage. I think the purple-red leaves look better with a more complementary color (yellow).

Thoughts?

IMG_4272.jpegIMG_4273.jpeg

Top Bottom