Brussels Spring Sale 2019

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Made a trip to Brussels this weekend for the Spring Sale. Over the years I have tried to go at least every couple of years and that is only because of the distance. If it were closer I would go much more or till I was Bonsai Broke...
I think @Adair M described it as "The scale of the place is mind boggling" For me it's a Disney Trip, spend the entire day looking and talking. I take pictures just to run on the pc screen saver for a mix between family, grand babies. Most of the time it is pretty much the same pictures and I hesitate to post as I figure most people have seen them. Then I think of the new users here who may have never dug up my old post so I will share for them. The rain was headed in by noon Saturday so had to cut it short and head out by 12, did not take my camera in fear of getting caught in the rain, took these with phone. As you see many are the cookie cutter bonsai that you get in the stores, at least they don't glue the rocks to the soil like Wal-Mart. But they have many more one of a kind and the yard is full of good stock.
IMG_1857.jpgIMG_1859.jpgIMG_1861.jpgIMG_1862.jpgIMG_1864.jpgIMG_1866.jpgIMG_1870.jpgIMG_1868.jpgIMG_1873.jpgIMG_1875.jpg

Jonathan_J

Seedling
Reaction score
The place is one of a kind in the southeast but the prices are insane for someone that is trying to stay on a decent budget. It’s more like $20 for a cutting but you could get a 3 gallon plant for the same price at other nursery’s with a better selection of cultivar.

With that said they import and have pretty refined bonsai so if you have the money to pay for it, you’re not going to find it anywhere else in the area.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I looked at their specimens page and found those crape myrtle to be ridiculously high. I would be very surprise if someone actual buy those.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If we want bonsai to grow and thrive in America, we need to be OK with people making money doing it. Bonsai doesn't always have to be a rush to the bottom. Go, check it out, decide for yourself. Or buy nursery stock at Home Depot. You do you. Buying cheap stock and creating something awesome doesn't make you better at bonsai than someone who buys expensive material and makes that awesome as well. No reason we always have to bash bonsai practitioners or companies for trying to make a buck.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If we want bonsai to grow and thrive in America, we need to be OK with people making money doing it. Bonsai doesn't always have to be a rush to the bottom. Go, check it out, decide for yourself. Or buy nursery stock at Home Depot. You do you. Buying cheap stock and creating something awesome doesn't make you better at bonsai than someone who buys expensive material and makes that awesome as well. No reason we always have to bash bonsai practitioners or companies for trying to make a buck.

I don't begrudge anyone of making a buck. No use being in business if you can't make money. I am not trying to compare their stock with Home Depot, that's apples to oranges. I think we all understand and expect to pay more for rare cultivars or plants raised specifically for bonsai.

What I was referring to are their asking prices for material online compared to bonsai stock available through other outlets. Maybe they're charging a premium for the convenience of shopping online, but their prices seem to be double to triple those of other bonsai vendors when comparing similar stock. The odd thing I have noticed is that their prices for advanced material seem reasonable and in line with other outlets. Unfortunately, my situation does not allow me to shop in the over 1000 category.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What I was referring to are their asking prices for material online compared to bonsai stock available through other outlets.

They charge what the market will bear :) We, as smart consumers, will decide if we want to pay their prices :)

SOMEONE must be buying their trees, because they have been around a long time. So it follows that their prices are acceptable to at least some segment of the bonsai world.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They charge what the market will bear :) .
I'm not sure this is true for their stuff on ebay. There are some individual specimens that have been listed for years.

What I was wondering was whether there is a difference between their online prices and their prices at the store.

EricMack

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you, ml_work for this thread, and taking the time to share your pics and experience there. I may especially appreciate it, as my new tree which is on a truck on its way to me may be in one of your pics!
I don't know about store vs online prices, but I ordered with 20% off and free shipping online, and the price for what I ordered vs many other online sources appeared to my (admittedly untrained) eye to be fair. Now, if I had taken the time, and paid the cost to drive there it would cost me double just in gas, etc.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm not sure this is true for their stuff on ebay. There are some individual specimens that have been listed for years.

Hey, I get you. Sometimes I see bonsai stuff that I consider an amazing bargain... that doesn't sell. Sometimes I see stuff that is amazingly pricey... that goes like hotcakes. Not specifically at Brussels, but the bonsai market as a whole. I think it is a general challenge when pricing things qualitatively. You might have two identical trees, same species, same age, same care... but one is considered to be better than the other and goes for 2x as much.

As far as I'm concerned, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and Jeff Bezos all buy bonsai pots on Facebook auctions :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Are their prices in the store more "attainable" than their prices on ebay? I've been pondering a visit for a while, but no use going if they want $40 for a cutting or $300 for a gallon size azalea.
Yes better priced in person and on sale at 20% off 2-3 times a year. They import some pretty nice shohin Satsuki every year in the $230-$300 price range.

nrgizerrod

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
wow, I've heard a ton of talk about this place but I didn't appreciate the sheer size of it. Looks like a fun place to wander around!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They sell retail and wholesale.

If you buy tens of thousands of dollar’s worth, yes, you can negotiate a discount. If you buy a lot from them every year like a bonsai shop does, yes, you can negotiate a discount.

If you wander in and want to buy a single $60 tree, probably not.

Quite frankly, it’s a wonder that they let retail customers in there at all!

Brussel’s ( the owner is Brussel Martin, no relation to me) has been serving the bonsai community for half a century. He currently sells 15,000 bonsai a week! (Think about that for a moment...)
He supplies many, if not most, of the mom and pop retail bonsai shops with inventory across the country. He’s been importing, legally, with an inspected quarantine facility for decades. If it were not for Brussel’s there would be hardly any legally imported bonsai. No JWP, no Satsuki azalea...

Sure, he has trees that are outrageously priced. They are attention getters. He doesn’t expect to sell them, nor does he really want to. He wants you to come to his place and buy several more reasonable trees.

I don’t like the soil he uses, but I’m glad he’s doing what he’s doing for the greater good of bonsai.

Quite frankly, I think he, Brussel Martin, deserves to be in the Bonsai Hall of Fame in Washington, DC.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They sell retail and wholesale.

If you buy tens of thousands of dollar’s worth, yes, you can negotiate a discount. If you buy a lot from them every year like a bonsai shop does, yes, you can negotiate a discount.

If you wander in and want to buy a single $60 tree, probably not.

Quite frankly, it’s a wonder that they let retail customers in there at all!

Brussel’s ( the owner is Brussel Martin, no relation to me) has been serving the bonsai community for half a century. He currently sells 15,000 bonsai a week! (Think about that for a moment...)
He supplies many, if not most, of the mom and pop retail bonsai shops with inventory across the country. He’s been importing, legally, with an inspected quarantine facility for decades. If it were not for Brussel’s there would be hardly any legally imported bonsai. No JWP, no Satsuki azalea...

Sure, he has trees that are outrageously priced. They are attention getters. He doesn’t expect to sell them, nor does he really want to. He wants you to come to his place and buy several more reasonable trees.

I don’t like the soil he uses, but I’m glad he’s doing what he’s doing for the greater good of bonsai.

Quite frankly, I think he, Brussel Martin, deserves to be in the Bonsai Hall of Fame in Washington, DC.
I agree. 6 months ago, I knew nothing about bonsai (still don't tee hee) yet when I walked into his place, he spent time to talk to me a little and allowed me to wander in his place. I truly appreciate that.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I appreciate every ones comment and I almost did not post the pictures thinking they would be boring. I think most of the questions that were ask have been answered and I will not try to compare prices or defend theirs. I know people in California say they can get a really nice JBP for $50-$100 which would be great, but that is 3000 mile away for me. So Brussells is where I can get to and pickup the tree and move the dirt back to check the roots. I have gotten to the point the trees I want I cannot afford or don't feel comfortable spending the money and have it die. This trip I did not find anything that I was really crazy over in my budget, so I got a few small ficus to play with, pot up in old pots. Friends or family show any interest in my tress, next thing they know they have a "bonsai" on the porch when they wake up one day.

As someone said, they will help you if you ask but they don't follow you around.. you have a run of the entire place, they do ask that you do pickup the specimen trees or maybe I just know not to.

As for a 12 hour ride, that is a long way, for me the GPS says 4 hours, takes me about 5.5, back roads enjoy the ride. So I do go and not buy anything (that's never happened) it is still fun. Like I said Disney Trip ... when my children were home and we took a trip to say Six Flags ... I am scared of heights and spinning makes me nauseated just up to the point of throwing up... but not quite so the rest of the day I feel awful. I learned over the years, go to the park and watch my family. While they are on the Goliath or Batman I take pictures of the bench or seat that I was sitting on while they road... they all get a laugh when it comes around on the screen saver. But I enjoy the trip.

This is just my thought on the ebay trees that are outrageous priced and have been for years. Matt sales Brussels stock on ebay (there is a couple of thread on here with more detail about that if you want more detail) I think he ask Brussel can he post those trees, which Brussel really does not want to sale and he says yeah for $$$$$$ So there ya go... just my thought. I like the fact that Matt list the trees as it gives a better idea of what they have in stock.

I'd love to get out there for the annual Brussel's Bonsai Rendezvous but it always falls on my anniversary weekend... someday, it will happen!

Well Dav4, the first trip we ever made to Brussels for a sale, hit in September on our anniversary. I ask may wife, "hey you want to go to Brussels for our anniversary?" she paused a minute and then said... hum... couple of eat outs, a night in a hotel ... yeah sure. she's a good woman! Hope to get to a Rendezvous someday.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I appreciate every ones comment and I almost did not post the pictures thinking they would be boring. I think most of the questions that were ask have been answered and I will not try to compare prices or defend theirs. I know people in California say they can get a really nice JBP for $50-$100 which would be great, but that is 3000 mile away for me. So Brussells is where I can get to and pickup the tree and move the dirt back to check the roots. I have gotten to the point the trees I want I cannot afford or don't feel comfortable spending the money and have it die. This trip I did not find anything that I was really crazy over in my budget, so I got a few small ficus to play with, pot up in old pots. Friends or family show any interest in my tress, next thing they know they have a "bonsai" on the porch when they wake up one day.

As someone said, they will help you if you ask but they don't follow you around.. you have a run of the entire place, they do ask that you do pickup the specimen trees or maybe I just know not to.

As for a 12 hour ride, that is a long way, for me the GPS says 4 hours, takes me about 5.5, back roads enjoy the ride. So I do go and not buy anything (that's never happened) it is still fun. Like I said Disney Trip ... when my children were home and we took a trip to say Six Flags ... I am scared of heights and spinning makes me nauseated just up to the point of throwing up... but not quite so the rest of the day I feel awful. I learned over the years, go to the park and watch my family. While they are on the Goliath or Batman I take pictures of the bench or seat that I was sitting on while they road... they all get a laugh when it comes around on the screen saver. But I enjoy the trip.

This is just my thought on the ebay trees that are outrageous priced and have been for years. Matt sales Brussels stock on ebay (there is a couple of thread on here with more detail about that if you want more detail) I think he ask Brussel can he post those trees, which Brussel really does not want to sale and he says yeah for $$$$$$ So there ya go... just my thought. I like the fact that Matt list the trees as it gives a better idea of what they have in stock.

Well Dav4, the first trip we ever made to Brussels for a sale, hit in September on our anniversary. I ask may wife, "hey you want to go to Brussels for our anniversary?" she paused a minute and then said... hum... couple of eat outs, a night in a hotel ... yeah sure. she's a good woman! Hope to get to a Rendezvous someday.
The specimen bonsai Brussel’s imports from Japan are expensive, because the whole process takes a long time, there’s losses during quarantine, and he has to pay for them up front to the Japanese sellers, but he can’t sell them for TWO YEARS! while they are in quarantine. (I think you can reserve one, and pay half while it’s still in quarantine, but it can’t leave the quarantine facility.). The trees are shipped bare root, per DOA regulations. Many don’t survive. The survivors have to be priced to cover not only their cost, but also to recover the cost of the deceased trees. Not to mention the cost of the quarantine facility, shipping, soil and water, labor, the cost of tying up funds for two years... and I haven’t even mentioned profit!

Heck, we all ought to be thankful he does it!

EricMack

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very good points.
My new chinese elm is far from a specimen, but it arrived in great shape and I can’t wait to work with it. And I’m very thankful JudyB is offering to help me do that. Ohio folks are good folks :cool:
Elm.jpg

Elm2.jpg

Elm3.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom